• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Speedi sleeve part number for rear axle shaft?

byson1

Loc.
Nashville
By chance does any one have a part # or link for a speedi sleeve for the rear 9" axle shaft. I tried a google search and also called NAPA and the parts guy could not find anything. Thanks!

tbratz

The CR Speedi-Sleeve for the big bearing axle is 99149. Sorry, I don't have it for the small bearing. Normally at some where like NAPA if you take the axle in and let them measure it, or you take a mic-reading, they look them up by size rather than application. Knowing the part# I actually got mine off ebay for pretty cheap.

rmk57

Thanks. Is the big bearing axle shaft diameter larger than the small bearing?

Same size thickness for 31 spline axles. Just the o.d. of the bearings are different. 1.56 I.d.?

OP
OP
byson1

byson1

Loc.
Nashville
It's the stock 28 spline small bearing axle but I believe the axle sizes are the same.

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
Are you trying to restore the seal surface? If you are you might just try looking into installing the seal a little short from all the way in so the seal rides in a different spot.

OP
OP
byson1

byson1

Loc.
Nashville
Are you trying to restore the seal surface? If you are you might just try looking into installing the seal a little short from all the way in so the seal rides in a different spot.

Yes I thought about trying that too. Those seals are kind of tough to get in straight but I have found the that the front 4WD spindle nut tool, flipped backwards, if about the right size for the small bearing seal driver.

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
Could take a piece of heavy wire like a coat hanger and form it around the OD of the axle bearing and cut it about 1/4 " short of a full circle to make an open hoop. Put that in before the seal with the opening at the top and then press that seal in. It would move the seal back a 1/16" or so and it rides in a new spot on the axle. The wire can't go anywhere its trapped between the bearing cup and the seal. Food for thought.