• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Spindle bolt stripped! What to do??

hollowch

Loc.
Midland, TX
Looks like one of the 6 spindle bolts was all jacked up and I had to strip the female threads on the steering knuckle to get it out. The stock size bolt just slides through it and will not grip when I try to tighten. I got the other 5 torqued down no problem but its just that one that won't go. Is it a really big deal? Would I be fine with just 5 or should I go find a size up bolt, drill that one spindle hole a little bigger, and tap the female fitting on the steering knuckle to fit it?

Unrelated Question: What type of grease goes on the axle splines??

treihesse

Bronco Guru
put a longer bolt with a nut or get a new knuckle.... I would NOT drill out a spindle. Axle grease for packing bearings (look on the tub and it will say good for ford stuff its wied but some say that)

Oatmeal

Replace them all with studs and nuts.......go to the local boneyard and pull them off of a Chevy D44;) (or Dodge, FS Jeep......)--------Hans

BwoncoHowie

C-4 Wizard
If the hole is not too hogged out, a Heli-Coil or a Time-sert will fix those threads if you are good with a drill and tap. You can restore the threads back to the same size and pitch. ~BH~

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Not that I recomend it...
The last Bronco I picked up a D44 that had all the spindle holes chewed up. Don't know the history, didn't really care. Tapped the holes out for bolts a size up (7/16?), drilled the spindles to match, used some grade 8 bolts and lock washer, flogged on it and never had a hint of any issues.

Broncoman

Bronco Guru
This is really funny. I have one spindle bolt hole that is screwed up. I am going to get a heli-coil for it. So I am in the same boat.

treihesse

Bronco Guru
i would do what oatmeal said or put a bolt lock washer and a crush nut on it. I would trust a heli-coil on a engine but on a spindle no way thats my life....