• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

splined shaft coupling. female to female

Madgyver

Bronco Madman
I'm looking for sources on transmissions adaptors.
Interested in shops who has what I need or someone who could make them.

28 spline to 23 spline,
both 1.25"

please list links or sources.

thank you

Last edited:

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
I’ve made a bunch of them out of driveshaft yolks. I have my machinist cut the pieces so they index off of each other and a weld bevel. Squeeze them together in a vice or c clamp and weld them together. Have yet to have a failure I have one in my buggy that’s been in service nearly 20 years

OP
OP
Madgyver

Madgyver

Bronco Madman
I’ve made a bunch of them out of driveshaft yolks. I have my machinist cut the pieces so they index off of each other and a weld bevel. Squeeze them together in a vice or c clamp and weld them together. Have yet to have a failure I have one in my buggy that’s been in service nearly 20 years

Thanks Steve,
Considered my option if none is available..

Broncobowsher

Total hack
I've done the opposite. It was a pair of custom half shafts. Inner CVs for a differential that didn't belong with the outer CVs. Dutchman axle made them up no issue. But I don't know there capacity to broach splines.

I suspect that having 2 pieces welded together is probably what you are going to have to do.

I understand the 28 spline, Bronco transmission output shaft. But what is the 23 spline male that it is trying to mate to?

Another option if you can find it might be U-joint yokes. If you can find them with the splines you want and put a U-joint in the middle.

You might have shaft support issues as well. The end of the output shaft on the transmission is usually supported, in 2WD the slip yoke has a bushing, in 4WD it is the transfer case input bearing. With a double splined shaft floating on the shafts there might be a support issue.

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
If your trying to adapt ford to Toyota I’d try Marlin Crawler. Marlin makes lots of things that aren’t necessarily in their catalog.

OP
OP
Madgyver

Madgyver

Bronco Madman
If your trying to adapt ford to Toyota I’d try Marlin Crawler. Marlin makes lots of things that aren’t necessarily in their catalog.

Thanks, I called them, What I need they don't have available..
looks like I gotta fab one up..

Broncobowsher

Total hack
I was just thinking it might be easier to get one of the shafts remade so you have a spline you can work with. https://dutchmanaxles.com/services.html has done good work for me in the past. Used a few different places and they are the most willing to accept custom work. I sent axles that were custom made a decade ago for an oversized OEM CV joint. Only a handful were ever made. They had no issues matching the unique spline on one side, a production spline on the other, in a custom length. At one time they had custom lathe shafts as a product. You can probably get that 23 spline shaft remade into a 28 spline and use a straight 28 spline coupler.

OP
OP
Madgyver

Madgyver

Bronco Madman
Yeller,
What process did you use to weld the 2 together?
Any heat treatment process that I would need to do?
We are gathering up parts now to do this.