• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Split Fuel or Vent Line

wthayden

Loc.
Houston, Texas
My Bronco smells very gassy and when looking under the car, I realized that gas is leaking directly out of one of the lines coming from the main fuel tank which is completely split (actually, it was clamped off by a prior owner where it is split).

A couple questions related to this:

1. I am not sure which line is the actual fuel line and which line is the vent line on the factory main tank. Does anyone know?

2. Assuming it is the vent line, are these pretty easy to replace and are these parts available at a store like Autozone or do they need to be ordered online?

Thanks in advance.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
The fuel hose is at the front of the tank ('77 might be different) and the vent and fill hoses are on the driver's side.

Fuel rated hose is available anywhere.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
And if it's leaking, chances are very good it's the main fuel feed line from the tank to the engine.
What year is your Bronco by the way? When you get the chance, list it in your personal info so we can see it down the road. I don't know about the others, but I'll forget by tomorrow!
And also, does it have dual tanks? Is the leak between the tank and the selector valve, or the valve and the engine/fuel pump?

Most of my fuel line is now 3/8" ID size, whereas the original may have been the slightly smaller (but no less common) 5/16" size. If you can, it'll help to bring a piece in to the parts store to help them verify.
Ford used a semi-hard plastic line along the frame rail. Not sure if it was for all years, or just some, but you can either utilize that still, if it's in good shape, and simply replace the ends with the new rubber hose, or you can replace the whole thing with rubber.
Some have found that the plastic has deteriorated, so replace it. Mine was in great shape, but I replaced some of it with hand-bent steel lines anyway.

Depends on your circumstances I guess.

Good luck.

Paul