• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Spongy Brakes

David63

I just installed a new brake booster, master cylinder and prop valve. I bench bled the master cyclinder and bled all the brake lines until I saw new brake fluid at each wheel.

My brake pedal is much softer than it was before. I can stop the Bronco when I hit the brakes, but the pedal is almost to the floor. Anyone have any recommendations for how to firm the pedal up? Thanks

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
A low pedal is almost always an issue with the rear brakes.
I knew an old man that used to say, Good rear brakes give you a good "pedal", but good front brakes give you good "stopping".
Check those rear brakes for their condition, adjustment, and bleed.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Did you check the adjustment of the booster rod to the MC? If the rod is adjusted to short then the pedal will go farther to the floor before you get braking.

alexpilcik

Do some checks on your master cylinder. I have bought shotty m/c before especially if they are refurbished. Make sure that is not your issue if you cant find anything else. Its the last thing you want to think of, but once again I have had that issue before and sounds about the same. Just a thought.

OP
OP
David63

David63

Did you check the adjustment of the booster rod to the MC? If the rod is adjusted to short then the pedal will go farther to the floor before you get braking.

I did not adjust the rod to the MC when I installed it. I will check that today. Thanks.

OP
OP
David63

David63

The booster rod adjustment correccted the problem. Thanks