• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Spot weld drill bits?

admin

Administrator
Just your friendly, neighborhood webmaster...
Loc.
Phoenix, AZ
Any thoughts on these? I've never used them before.

From the Eastwood.com site I see there are 2 sizes, 3/8" and 1/2". Should I get them both? Any better sources for them then Eastwood? Shipping is a bit much.

http://www.eastwoodco.com/shopping/...temID=1148&itemType=PRODUCT&RS=1&keyword=spot

p618.jpg

tonto

Bronco Guru
You should be able to find them local to you, try an auto body paint & supply shop thats where I got mine.
The ones I got are like a 3/8" mini hole saw with a spring loaded point in the middle, I think the one you showed the picture of would work better than the ones I got.
Francois.

Blue71

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I used the one like Tonto was describing. I cut several hundred spot welds with them. I went through a few, but they are cheaper than the one in the picture. I got mine at Northern Tool if you have one...they came two in a pack, One was like 3/8 and the other like a 1/2 possibly. They are like a small hole saw. IF you break the teeth off of one side..you can remove it, flip it over and continue . I got my refills at NAPA. I think the refills came 3 to a pack and they are double sided also. I think they were like 12.00 for the 3 Pk. Never used one like the ones from Eastwood. If you get one...let me know how they work and how long they last.

Good Luck,

Blue71

MnkyBiz

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Northern VA/DC
I purchased the other type offered by Eastwood
p2375.jpg

I purchased it as a kit with the extra tips. I have only broken one of the three so far.

MnkyBiz

vap13

I used the one like mnkybiz from Eastwood. It worked pretty good, thats how I removed my windshield frame, many spotwelds. While I'm on the subject has anyone figured out a way to reattach the windshield frame without spotwelding?
Paul

iwlbcnu

Bronco Guru
I also used the ones above, found them at the local auto paint supply shop.

74bronc

Bronco Guru
I have used both and the kind that admin listed is the best. I hated the hole cut ones and chucked them in the trash. It is difficult to keep them centered and then they walk before they start cutting. I wasted alot of time and swear words on them. The kind admin listed work very well, less to grind afterward and they stay sharp for a long time. I used those all the time when working in the body shop. That is the only kind we used. I wouldn't bother with the 1/2" size as the 3/8" will work great on any spot welds on the EB.

HotWheels

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Twilight Zone
vap13 said:
While I'm on the subject has anyone figured out a way to reattach the windshield frame without spotwelding?
Paul

I considered this also. I replaced mine with the stainless windshield frame and hinge from Tom's Bronco Parts. Yet when I really thought about how to reattach it there were these things to deal with:

Bolt in:

1) very tight area.

2) bolt holes allowing water to seap (sp?) and cause rust issues later.

3) stress areas of bolts concentrated on a smaller area (not good)

Weld in:

1) negates #1

2) Negate #2 and allows the area to be sealed with a rust prohibiter such as POR15 or Rust Bullet.

3) Stress is disperssed over a wider area providing a much more secure attachment for going soft top/top less.

I chose to weld it in if u haven't figured that out;)

I know some here might dissagree; but we all do what we think is the best for our application.

hth,

Mick

:)

Bronco Ben

Contributor
Jckofalltrdes master/none
Loc.
Coffeeville, Alabama
i removed the cowl off my 65 mustang once with the eastwood style (hole saw type) and it did cause it to walk a bit. So I bought a pocket full of pilot bits (1/8th I believe) and drilled out the center of all the spot welds before using the eastwood bit. worked pretty good for me, there were several spots welds in the mustang cowl :(
Ben

Blue71

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I meant to add that, i also used a pilot bit. Didn't take much to make a small pilot dent and the bit won't walk on you.

Blue71

77TexasBronc

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Baytown Texas
I too found the 3/8" mini hole saw with a spring loaded point in the middle works ok however if you pre-drill with a 1/16 to 1/8 pilot bit it works great and prevents breaking the teeth off the small hole saw bit.

Attachments

• spotweld remover.jpg
    117.2 KB · Views: 344
OP
OP
admin

admin

Administrator
Just your friendly, neighborhood webmaster...
Loc.
Phoenix, AZ
Thanks for the input. I just ordered these and I'll let everyone know how they work.

p618.jpg

Walter Hinz

Loc.
Cedar Grove, NJ

vap13

HotWheels said:
I considered this also. I replaced mine with the stainless windshield frame and hinge from Tom's Bronco Parts. Yet when I really thought about how to reattach it there were these things to deal with:

Bolt in:

1) very tight area.

2) bolt holes allowing water to seap (sp?) and cause rust issues later.

3) stress areas of bolts concentrated on a smaller area (not good)

Weld in:

1) negates #1

2) Negate #2 and allows the area to be sealed with a rust prohibiter such as POR15 or Rust Bullet.

3) Stress is disperssed over a wider area providing a much more secure attachment for going soft top/top less.

I chose to weld it in if u haven't figured that out;)

I know some here might dissagree; but we all do what we think is the best for our application.

hth,

Mick

:)
I kind of felt that would be the answer. I could'nt figure anything small enough with the exception of maybe rivets that would be flat enough for the hinge not to hit.. Looks like I'll be spotwelding
Paul

behemoth

Bronco Guru
This is another set that I am about to use on the window frame.
I did it the last time with just a drill and a chisle. This should make things a little easier.

Attachments

• 2004_0629_193558aa.jpg
    2004_0629_193558aa.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 189