• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Spot welding!!

Coob

Loc.
Houston, Tx
Anyone have any experience using a spot welder? I was looking at the handheld model that has the smaller tongs. Seems really efficeint.

Of course you would not be able to spot weld all locations. But would cover about 50% perhaps?

%)

eds66bronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Essex, Vermont
i just use my mig... drill hole in top metal clamp or press together, fill the hole, grind smooth and you're done. most spots on the bronco would be way to hard to clamp both sides.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Also spot welders prefer nice clean metal. All 4 sides (both sides of both layers) need to be clean. I just plug weld with my MIG. The back side of the bottom piece doesn't have to be cleaned.

Now if you are doing a 100 point concorse restoration, spot weld is the only authentic way to go.

OP
OP
Coob

Coob

Loc.
Houston, Tx
Nope - not doing exact replica sort of restoration. In fact I was just going to try it on my trail rig. I got lots of body work to do and was thinking of trying it out.

I'm pretty good with my MIG but I was curious about trying other things. I found a single sided spot welder / stitch welder combo.

The nice thing about the spot welder is the low amperage regulater. Its sort of like a failsafe to prevent from burning through.