• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Squealing SERP belt!!! Out of ideas

OP
OP
chuzie

chuzie

Bronco Guru
So you're finally done hijacking my thread? It's about damn time! ;-)

Glad it is fixed. Out of curiosity, how much time and $$$ do you have in this belt issue?

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
Hi-jack?? Me...never!

Well, at least it's on topic and I didn't veer off to something totally un-related...this time! lol

Time and money??? On a Bronco we don't count either of those categories...just the fun index!!

Time ... (like my receipts that are organized by decade in 3 large plastic file boxes), I don't add up! ;D but I've got about 8 hours into figuring out the squeal issue (this winter) and fixing it but at least 40 more into building my original PSC and York bracket... should have taken extremely accurate measurements so someone else could water jet cut the parts accurately... I used my portable band saw then used a mic to make sure they were within .005" inch square, etc...took some time.

Money into this... hmmm, only had about 15 bucks worth of steel into my custom bracket but I went thru two squealing Napa belts at over 40 bucks each until I bought the cheeepie Orielly's that lasted about 2 hours and frayed for 30 bucks then I went on line to Amazon to get the Goodyear Gatorback (now called Continental Elite) for 12-22 bucks depending on item #.
The expensive part was buying the $90 Gates Laser tool to make sure I didn't have a problem with my homemade bracket alignment... oh well, now I have a tool to rent!! Maybe make back 1/2 the cost or something after "loaning it out a few times"... : )

Oh well, I know all about serp belt alignment issues and tolerances now!! ha!

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Now you just gotta go into business for yourself renting out your stuff.
Called the "Uber Cool Alignment Tool Company" and get some of that investment back!:cool:

Paul

OP
OP
chuzie

chuzie

Bronco Guru
Would be cool if you could find a way to adapt it for front end alignment.

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
LOL... I'm working on it...

I tried really hard to not have to buy a hundred dollar "use once" tool... that's why I spent a dozen hours with straight edges and feeler gauges... oh well, I'll start making a bracket to clamp it over Dana 44 knuckles right away!