• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Squeeling coming from back end

4G5

Loc.
Newport News,VA
I hope someone can tell me what in the heck this noise is. Awhile back I was just beebopping along on the beach down at Oregon Inlet, N.C. when an old Blazer pulled up beside me and wanted a little bit of ol' "Dirty Gurdy". So, I abliged the old boy and won by 3 lengths. Needless to say ever since then I have this ungodly squeeling going on in the back end. I have checked out everything on the rear 9" and all is fine. I even went so far as to replace all the u-joints so I would not think that is it either. It is really high pitched and annoying as hell. It happens at all speeds. Clutch???
Thanks in advance,

4G5

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Throw out bearing? Does it do it all the time or just when moving? Does it make any differance of the clutch is pushed in?
Check the oil levels in both the tranny and t case. Better yet drain a nd replace the oil in both look for any metal in the oil. You may have bearings going out.

ja840a

Loc.
Denver
Sometimes it can just be the gear oil getting old. If it only happens while you are moving, before you go tearing apart the rear end i would drain the gear oil, and put in new, and go to a ford dealership and pickup some motorcraft friction modifier, add that in with the oil.

Like broncnaz said when you drain the oil rub some between your fingers and look for tiny metal flakes, if their is metal present you will probably want to rebuild.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
I've had an outer bearing on the rear do that. They're easy to check.

zeeman1

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Seattle
When I saw the title for this thread I thought for SURE it was started by Ned Beatty...:eek:

You've got a purdy little mouth on you....

I thought you weren't supposed to use that friction modifier in anything that wasn't LS?

OP
OP
4G5

4G5

Loc.
Newport News,VA
Outer bearings are new. Just like with everything else on my EB's I did them myself so I know they are right. I am getting ready to put a new clutch in it so hopefully it is related to that.

Thanks guys!

ja840a

Loc.
Denver
speaking of deliverance don't they drive a bronco in that movie? I don't know about the Limited Slip and the friction modifier, now i'll look into it... I've used it in the past and it did the trick with not problems for 3 years till i sold that bronc

OP
OP
4G5

4G5

Loc.
Newport News,VA
speaking of deliverance don't they drive a bronco in that movie? I don't know about the Limited Slip and the friction modifier, now i'll look into it... I've used it in the past and it did the trick with not problems for 3 years till i sold that bronc

No, it was an old Int. Scout I think.