• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Stainless Steel Inverted Flare Nuts HELP!

BwoncoHowie

C-4 Wizard
I am looking for some stainless steel Flare-Nuts for my 5/16" Tranny lines. I have inquired with several sources till I'm exausted.
What I would like to do is make some transmission cooler lines for my truck that will resist corosion. I have found the stainless steel tubing I need, just no luck at all on the nuts for retaining the double flare. Anyone out there know where I can get these types of materials?

They are approx. 5/16" smooth inside diameter with a national fine thread 1/2" male straight thread on the outside diameter. It would be exactly the dimension of the flare nut that connects to the fitting on your C-4. (If you are runnin a stick, pardon me). You know, it's the one that takes the 1/2" flare nut wrench.

BH ?:?

dingo8

Loc.
Luzerne County, PA
[quote author=BwoncoHowie link=board=5;threadid=12214;start=0#90497 date=1039627293]<br>I am looking for some stainless steel Flare-Nuts for my 5/16" Tranny lines. I have inquired with several sources till I'm exausted. <br>What I would like to do is make some transmission cooler lines for my truck that will resist corosion. I have found the stainless steel tubing I need, just no luck at all on the nuts for retaining the double flare. Anyone out there know where I can get these types of materials?<br><br>They are approx. 5/16" smooth inside diameter with a national fine thread 1/2" male straight thread on the outside diameter. It would be exactly the dimension of the flare nut that connects to the fitting on your C-4. (If you are runnin a stick, pardon me). You know, The one that takes the 1/2" flare nut wrench.<br><br>BH ?:?<br><br><br>[/quote]<br><br>the first place i always check for strange hardware is the McMaster-Carr Catalog<br><br>you might want to consider brass flare nuts, too. they might be easier to find. i see them on fuel lines and stuff all the time.

72Sport

Bronco Guru
Look in your local yellow pages under valves. There was a company on Manchester in Anaheim that sells SwageLok fittings which may be the brand you are looking for. If not McMaster Carr has them also. Be careful with Stainless to Stainless threads. Tighter is not better. If you tighten them too much the threads will seize and you will either break the fittings or strip them out. People that deal with SS use a lot of teflon tape and teflon pipe dope to keep from stripping them out. Teflon tape is not good around transmission orifices. The tape will be cut off as you tighten or loosen the fittings and end up in bad places when you least expect it.

OP
OP
BwoncoHowie

BwoncoHowie

C-4 Wizard
I checked with Mcmaster Carr before I started this thread and they did'nt have them. I gave-up shortly after that. I can't use brass flare nuts because they are soft and will strip or round-off too easily when the proper torque is applied to seal the stainless flare. The other thing is that the connection will be fastening to brass fittings not stainless.
Double flares dont require teflon tape. If I were to make a stainless to stainless flare connection, I would use never-sieze on the threads. Thanks for your help, so far I'm still stuck...

BH ?:?

72Sport

Bronco Guru
I gave you bad info on SwageLok. It is a two piece compression type fitting. We used them at work to seal about 4000 psi Helium. They might work for at least part of the installation. Next time I pay closer attention to the subject.

Explore74

Loc.
Lubbock, TX
I would not use stainless because #1 it is a dissimilar metal and it will actually corrode faster when screwed into the steel bung, and #2 the stainless is practically a one time use fitting due to its malleability(yes it is hard as a muther but it deforms easily). I have used aluminum fittings from Earl's and have had great success because they are hard anodized. Just be sure to use a little teflon paste(I stress a LITTLE). Dont use tape because the tiniest peice of that stuff is hell on valve bodies.

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
Try a company called the hose man if it is available they can find it. there is one on Irwindale CA and I think one in La Mirada of the 5 freeway.

72Sport

Bronco Guru
Me again. Try Classic Tube at 1-800-882.3711 or classictube.com. Their website says if they don't have they can help you find it. 20,000 prebent brake, fuel & other lines in stock. Stainless, steel and aluminum and they sell stuff in bulk.

G

fit'ins

Am looking for stainless brake fittings as well. If water can settle between the tube and carbon steel fitting it will eventually rust solid. Can't remember how many wheel cylinders I've replaced because of seized bleeder screws. Yes, stainless components of same alloy are prone to galling. The trick is to use different alloys for mating parts, ie., handguns use a 420 frame and a 416 slide. Have much experience in stainless fastener mfg. Did contact some of the stainless tube vendors offering to make fittings on our Swiss automatics. The idiots have no clue what the issues are.

Explore74

Loc.
Lubbock, TX
Re:fit'ins

[quote author=vtdon link=board=5;threadid=12214;start=0#90772 date=1039703800]<br>Am looking for stainless brake fittings as well. If water can settle between the tube and carbon steel fitting it will eventually rust solid. Can't remember how many wheel cylinders I've replaced because of seized bleeder screws. Yes, stainless components of same alloy are prone to galling. The trick is to use different alloys for mating parts, ie., handguns use a 420 frame and a 416 slide. Have much experience in stainless fastener mfg. Did contact some of the stainless tube vendors offering to make fittings on our Swiss automatics. The idiots have no clue what the issues are.<br>[/quote]<br>I'm glad someone else knows whats up. Nobody else seems to believe that stainless is sometimes not so stainless.