• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Stak 3 speed Mini or B-Box?

vintagebronco75

Loc.
Hillsboro, Oregon
I can't seen to find what would be the best box for me to get. I've been given advice in both directions and was wondering what is the best box to get.

I am running a 5.0/c4/D20 with 35's but will be upgrading to D60's and 40's in the future. Should I go for the B-box or will the mini work. Anyone here have problems with the B-box.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
The B in the B-box is because it was made for a Bronco. It offsets the idler gears so the front output can be closer to the centerline of the in/rear out without having to run smaller gears.

I have seen they added a mini line, but don't know much about them. I was hoping they would have been at SEMA this year so I could ask some questions in person, but they were not there.

ctowery

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Wellington Nevada
The mini is for 400HP and up to 40", Monster box for larger. We are one of Staks largest dealers..PM with a zip if I can get you prices or additional info.

We also have the Atlas line now.

Cary

OP
OP
vintagebronco75

vintagebronco75

Loc.
Hillsboro, Oregon
Looks like more people are installing the mini in their bronco but are not running big engines. Seems like I need to figure out what kind of horse power I will run when and if I upgrade to a 351w in the future.

How is the Mini holding up as it seems most of the problems I have read about seem to be with the bigger boxes.

Anyone have pictures of the B-box installed in their bronco or the mini not clocked up really high.

For those that are running the NorthWestFab cable shifters...How do you like them and anything I should know in advance before I order them.

cary - I will give you a call on monday

OP
OP
vintagebronco75

vintagebronco75

Loc.
Hillsboro, Oregon
I've been following a few of those threads and it seems like the problems have been with some of the older boxes and several have send them back and have not had problems since. There are a couple still with issues and one that posted some video of how bad the gears were fitting. I really like the gearing choices going with a stak. It does seem like a gamble with stak but I have not heard any new stuff that has problems.

garberz

Bronco Influencer
Loc.
Conejo Valley, Ca.
I've been following a few of those threads and it seems like the problems have been with some of the older boxes and several have send them back and have not had problems since. There are a couple still with issues and one that posted some video of how bad the gears were fitting. I really like the gearing choices going with a stak. It does seem like a gamble with stak but I have not heard any new stuff that has problems.

X2, the stuff I've read was from quite a while ago.

ctowery

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Wellington Nevada
Here is a pic of a MB in a EB..

The Vast majority of 351's will not be 400HP, takes $$$ and RPM to get that much HP from one. A 351 EFI with cam, heads, custom tunes etc is about 300HP at the wheels..

Last edited:

broncozx

I have the b-box. Ive only test fitted it.
If i should buy one now, i would buy the mini one, because its smaller.

OP
OP
vintagebronco75

vintagebronco75

Loc.
Hillsboro, Oregon
The Vast majority of 351's will not be 400HP, takes $$$ and RPM to get that much HP from one. A 351 EFI with cam, heads, custom tunes etc is about 300HP at the wheels..

That is one dilemma I have with deciding on a Transfer Case.... if and when I get a 74 or earlier titled bronco I want to build a bigger motor. I recon it will be in the area of 500HP and 500Ft/lbs of TQ (408 or 427) possibly running on Propane. The engine will not be in the budget for several more years but my D20 transfer case is on its last legs now. I figure instead of spending the money on the D20 I should just upgrade, plus there have been a few instances where a little lower gearing would be nice but it is not that often with the type of wheeling we do here.

I am even contemplating going with a reverse manual valve body for the C4 so I might be OK with the atlas 4sp in length if it can handle the HP and I can handle having to shift all the time :)

OP
OP
vintagebronco75

vintagebronco75

Loc.
Hillsboro, Oregon
This is what I think I am going to go with....

Stak 3 speed Mini Monster
Going behind a 1975 C4 Transmission
Drivers Drop
4.29:1, 2.44:1, and 1:1
1350 Flange (Unless I am talked into 1310's but I think I want the 1 ton stuff for when I upgrade to D60's)
Rear support mount
Vss for the speedometer (i am running electric)
Cable Shifters

Thanks for the quote Cary.....boy, prices sure did go up :(