• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Starter not engaging the flexplate

STalon89

Head scratcher here. This truck usually starts fine, but sometimes when turning over it seems the starter isn’t catching the flex plate. All the parts are new and if you bump it a few times it will eventually start. Voltage and ground is good

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
That sounds like the typical scenario of a failing starter.
In the old days that would’ve only been in the realm of a very old starter. Nowadays, however, since you can’t trust most parts to work very long anyway, maybe even a new starter would start doing that prematurely.

OP
OP
STalon89

STalon89

That sounds like the typical scenario of a failing starter.
In the old days that would’ve only been in the realm of a very old starter. Nowadays, however, since you can’t trust most parts to work very long anyway, maybe even a new starter would start doing that prematurely.
Starter is new. Im thinking I may have the wrong belhousing flexplate combo. But if that was wrong, why would it only not work sometimes? Currently have 164T flexplate in a rebuilt C4 but I am unsure now if the bell is for a 157T

ared77

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Why was previous starter replaced? And if it was just to have new/better parts on your Bronco I'd put the previous one back in just to see if it takes care of problem.

OP
OP
STalon89

STalon89

Why was previous starter replaced? And if it was just to have new/better parts on your Bronco I'd put the previous one back in just to see if it takes care of problem.
Its a frame off restoration. New starter was removed because I figured it was defective. Same symptoms with new one

Speedrdr

Contributor
Not so wise OLD owl
Loc.
Paris, MS
Starter is new. Im thinking I may have the wrong belhousing flexplate combo. But if that was wrong, why would it only not work sometimes? Currently have 164T flexplate in a rebuilt C4 but I am unsure now if the bell is for a 157T
Auto or manual transmission? Had trouble with mine when a new high torque starter installed. The nose on the starter was too long and didn’t work properly. Changed to proper starter for manual transmission. May not be your problem but worth a check.

Randy

gnpenning

Contributor
Bronco Slave
Loc.
I have more questions than answers.
Here's your clue. You said it usually starts fine. That means the starter is engaging the flex plate/flywheel properly. Bad alignment issues or wrong components should show up pretty much every time.

Sounds to me that the Bendix drive isn't working properly, either from low voltage or a bad Bendix. The starter will sound like it is spinning (because it is) but not engaging the flywheel/flex plate since it isn't moving out all the way.

You said voltage and ground are good but haven't said how you tested it and what the readings are. You may be 100% right but we see so many that haven't done a proper test I have to ask.

Head scratcher here. This truck usually starts fine, but sometimes when turning over it seems the starter isn’t catching the flex plate. All the parts are new and if you bump it a few times it will eventually start. Voltage and ground is good

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
Just for everyone's knowledge.

When I was fitting my tranny to sbf 6r & 10r80 adapters that I was making to my stroker last spring, I had 5 different starters for Ford 5.0/302 and not ONE of them was the same for nose depth, bendix gear engagement depth or flex plate tooth engagement pattern. Not a ONE! I have pics and a writeup on my build thread.

Pretty dang sad. :(

So Todd Z was saying on that thread that he has had excellent luck with a Bosch?? starter from Rock Auto. I don't want to jinx mine but I bought one from Tom's 20 yrs back and it has been flawless. (knock on wood)

nvrstuk

Contributor
Here's your clue. You said it usually starts fine. That means the starter is engaging the flex plate/flywheel properly. Bad alignment issues or wrong components should show up pretty much every time.

Sounds to me that the Bendix drive isn't working properly, either from low voltage or a bad Bendix. The starter will sound like it is spinning (because it is) but not engaging the flywheel/flex plate since it isn't moving out all the way.

You said voltage and ground are good but haven't said how you tested it and what the readings are. You may be 100% right but we see so many that haven't done a proper test I have to ask.
Exactly, well said.

People also stick their multimeter on the starter and get 12v+ which means nothing if the cable to the battery can't transmit 150amps of current because of corrosion, loose connection, etc. It can show 12v but can't carry the amperage load.

OP
OP
STalon89

STalon89

You said voltage and ground are good but haven't said how you tested it and what the readings are. You may be 100% right but we see so many that haven't done a proper test I have to I

You're right. Its worth going back over and re testing everything. I am going to investigate the ground, voltage, etc. Run an individual ground for the starter. Im also running post style connections instead of the clamp, I may switch those as well.

nvrstuk

Contributor
After you do that-

Go to one of the "forever warranty" stores and buy a couple starters- or at least have them laying on the counter side by side at the store to compare them accurately. Sure helps.

Good luck

OP
OP
STalon89

STalon89

After you do that-

Go to one of the "forever warranty" stores and buy a couple starters- or at least have them laying on the counter side by side at the store to compare them accurately. Sure helps.

Good luck
Did a bunch of work and testing last night and still the same result. It must be the starter. New dedicated ground, counted flexplate teeth and inspected them for wear. New clamp style battery cables. Meter tested everything. Starter is getting 12v. I have a higher quality starter coming from summit tomorrow.

Speedrdr

Contributor
Not so wise OLD owl
Loc.
Paris, MS
If you’re changing out the starter and haven’t already made the order, you might consider getting a high torque starter…they are smaller (space saver) and cranks rig easier.

Randy

cldonley

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Robinson, TX
I bought three consectutive bad starters from Advance once several years ago for a Bronco II. Had me befuddled. Pulled transfer case, tranny, flywheel, had a machinist put a new ring gear on. It was the china rebuilt starter all along. Get the best one you can get, 'merican made if you can.