• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

starter problems?

1975matthews

Loc.
Canada
Well here's my story. I have a new wiring harness new ignition switch, new starter, new silonoid new voltage regulator. When I start my bronco my starter stays on, even when I turn the key off it stays on till I pull the battery cable off. This just started to happen it worked fine for a month. So I replaced the starter, silonoid and voltage regulator again all new again and all was fine for a week than again the same problem??? What could this be? a faulty ignition switch?

Heus33

Bronco Guru
Sounds to me like a faulty soleniod thats sticking open and keeping the starter engaged.

Steve83

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Memphis, TN, USA, Earth, Milky Way
Sounds like you have the starter relay wired wrong. The big wire to the starter goes on either of the big terminals; the small trigger wire goes on the small terminal; EVERYTHING else goes on the other big terminal. Look at the center sections of this diagram:

You probably have the older type, so ignore the starter.

msweb

Bronco Guru
I'd agree with the ignition switch is sticking in the start position. Mine's done that once or twice...

I doubt it's wired wrong since it worked fine previously but wouldn't rule out the possibility of the solinoid but 2 bad ones in a row? I dunno...

What happens if you turn the key to the "run" position and then jump it across the terminals on the solinoid to start it? Does the starter stay engaged when you start it that way?

70_Steve

Old Guy
The starter solenoid has 4 terminals. BAT+ for the positive battery cable, STA for the big cable to the starter, S (small terminal next to BAT+) is the wire from the ignition switch which has power when the key is turned to START, and I (small terminal next to STA) provides full power to the coil during starting.

The next time the starter stays on, try removing the small wire on the little S terminal. If the starter stops, then you may have a faulty ignition switch or some other wiring issue. If the starter stays running, then the solenoid is bad.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
I'm voting for a flakey ignition switch or related wiring problem. If the solenoid was wired wrong it would cause problems immediately.

Steve83

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Memphis, TN, USA, Earth, Milky Way
Here's a pic of the new-style relay on my truck. If the fullsize version is too small, click it again in the new window to supersize.

The new design is vastly superior, and totally compatible. There's another link in that caption.