• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

starter problems

shedhunter1

Loc.
Oakland MD
I just replaced the starter on my 73 bronco. When I try to start it I have to turn ignition switch on and off until it starts. I can hear the starter engage but takes a few trys to start. The teeth are good on the flywheel. I was told I need shims but I'm not convinced that's the real problem.

Tiko433

Contributor
I know just enough to be dangerous
Loc.
South West Florida
So it is engaging and spinning with every time you hit the key ? If so only a few things I’m thinking of —— bad spot on flywheel—— or there are auto-starters and manual starters . The depth is different from each other. Do have the old one to compare to the new one?!

B RON CO

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Statesville, NC
Hi, if it spins with no grinding sound maybe the Bendix drive ( the gear itself which is spring loaded) is not extending. The Bendix drive pops out when the starter is spinning and retracts when you let go of the key.
If it is grinding that is really not good.
I would return it and try another one. Make sure you check the part number and get the correct starter for your Bronco. I think Automatic and manual transmission are different.
Good luck

phred

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Earth
I’ve had starters bad out of the box. Take it back and get another one. Verify that they give you the correct starter. Parts jockeys now days really struggle getting you the correct parts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DJs74

Bronco Guru
Pretty sure there are two different starters for SBF, one for 164 tooth flexplate or flywheel / one for 157 tooth flexplate or flywheel. One has a slightly longer starter nose than the other... you might've gotten the shorter nose starter so it is not engaging properly

DJs74

half cab

Contributor
Guru Bronco
[there are auto-starters and manual starter?![/QUOTE]

My thoughts /\/\what transmission do you have?

Eoth

Bronco Guru
Most likely the gear inside the starter that slides forward and engages the flexplate is not sliding. You can take the starter out and hook it directly up to a battery to confirm (caution there will be sparks). As mentioned, its not all that uncommon especially with rebuilt starters. Just take it back and swap.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Correct on the different starters. Though it's not a tooth count issue, as that's taken up by the bell housing. It's indeed the auto-vs-manual trans issue.
There is actually at least one more starter style for our engines, but it's different enough that it's obvious at the mounting flange.

Yes, they make shims nowadays for Ford starters, but it's not as common an issue as it used to be on GM engines. However if it's not engaging the ring gear now, shimming it out could make it worse if the problem is that it's already not reaching.

Check out the different pictures comparing the nose cones and gear locations of the two styles and you can compare to what you have.

Is your '73 a manual or automatic truck?

Paul