• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Starter problems

mtnbiker2010

Loc.
Grand Rapids MI
I had my engine rebuilt and I rewired with a centech wiring kit, using the ignition adapter. Now when I start it the starter motor continues to run and makes a high pitched whine. If I quickly turn it to off and then back to on (not start) the starter disengages and everything is fine. I replaced the starter but it is still happening. Any ideas as to what it could be, possibly be? I was thinking maybe solenoid of ignition switch but did not have time to do more troubleshooting today. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

DVFord

Loc.
Council Bluffs
Seen this before....

I had that same problem with my 85 E150. It turned out to be a bad ignition switch. If you replaced that at the time of your wiring upgrade, I would swap the switch with the old one and see if it goes away.

OP
OP
M

mtnbiker2010

Loc.
Grand Rapids MI
I am still having starter problems like above. I have now replaced the solenoid, starter, and ignition switch. The actual ignition cylinder is still original. Most of the time when I try to start it the starter wants to continue to run, if I quickly turn it to "off" and then back to "run" it will run fine. I would appreciate ANY, ANY, ANY suggestions or help.

Thanks in advance,
Mark M

RRRAAAYYY2

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Brantford, Ontario
If you have the "I" connection at thesolenoid, try removing it. It is a far fetched long shot. After thast I would think your issue may be in the neitrao safety switch.
For an old style direct drive Ford starter to stay engaged under power, something has to be giving the solenoid on the fender power off the start cycle is complete. ignition switch and neutral safety are the only two I can think of off hand.