• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Starting 68 LUBR build

Apache Bronco

Loc.
Roosevelt, AZ
Hi everyone!
I figured I would start at the bottom and work my way up. I have a survivor 68 289/3.03. Here is my plan:
Replace C and radius arm bushings.
New rear drums, shoes, wheel cylinders, hoses, shocks.
Front disc conversion - I have the chevy caliper brackets and spindles, will be buying chevy calipers, pads, hoses, Ford hub/rotor combo, bearings, seals. New center hose. New stock M/C (non power) with residual pressure valve removed. New lines from M/C to frame. Yeah, I will need to grind the knuckles. We did this conversion on our 72 F100, with a D44, the D30 should be similar. Keeping all old parts.
OK, now for wheels. The early stock wheels will probably not work with the calipers. I have the choice of 15" or 16". Thinking of going with the alum style on mid 90's ford trucks. If I go 16's with P265/75R16 I will have to lift, maybe a combo of suspension/body? I don't want or need to go crazy with the 4 wheeling I do here in the AZ desert. No power steering either BTW. Would appreciate your input, thanks! Lisa.

rydog1130

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Your stock steelies should be ok, I didnt have any issues with the front calipers and clearance...if you plan on doing rear disc you may have to shave the calipers as I and another member found out. Post pictures and keep us updated!

OP
OP
A

Apache Bronco

Loc.
Roosevelt, AZ
Good news, just have to buy tires then. Can spend money saved from wheels on hydraulic clutch conversion, later model radiator overflow bottle, gauges, L.E.D. lights, electric windows, etc.