• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Starting problems, think it is ignition wiring

ChiefDan

Loc.
Columbia, SC
After a break, I am finally trying to get everything buttoned back up(had the heads redone and new valves). Anyway of course I didn't mark the rotor position on the distributor, so now I am trying to get that set. This is a regular old 302. I have the balancer pointer on 0, I pulled #1 plug out and put my finger in there and can feel the piston so I think I have the rotor set correctly, but it still won't fire up. I am getting spark, I've checked that. Getting gas at the carb, even poured some in, but still no go. I am thinking it has got to be that firing sequence or some other electrical gremlin. Anyway any "Hey did you check this" you guys may have, fire em at me.

Dan

fordguy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
and the rotor is on the number one wire on the dist, right? check your firing order again be sure and look it up in your manual or the net and recheck your wires

Socal Tom

Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Diego, CA
The engine comes to TDC 2 times. You probably got the wrong one. So it's probably 180 out. Move the wires to the opposite side of the dizzy. If it starts pull the dizzy and put it in after one more rotation.
Tom

OP
OP
C

ChiefDan

Loc.
Columbia, SC
Yeah it is on #1. Wire goes to front cylnder on passenger side(although I swear I thought #1 cylinder was front, driver side).
fordguy said:
and the rotor is on the number one wire on the dist, right? check your firing order again be sure and look it up in your manual or the net and recheck your wires

OP
OP
C

ChiefDan

Loc.
Columbia, SC
Well if #1 cylinder is up, wouldn't that mean I got the right TDC? By switching wires, what do you mean? Swap #1 wire with another one?
Socal Tom said:
The engine comes to TDC 2 times. You probably got the wrong one. So it's probably 180 out. Move the wires to the opposite side of the dizzy. If it starts pull the dizzy and put it in after one more rotation.
Tom

Socal Tom

Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Diego, CA
The crank/harmonic balancer doesn't know the difference. The Piston comes to the top on the compression stroke ( just before firing), and then again on the exhaust stroke when the exhaust valves are open. You can't tell by looking at the harmonic balancer.

It might be easier for you to just pull the dizzy and rotate the rotor 180 degrees.
Tom

OP
OP
C

ChiefDan

Loc.
Columbia, SC
Dang, that was it 180 degrees out. It fires now. Woohoo, thanks!
Socal Tom said:
The crank/harmonic balancer doesn't know the difference. The Piston comes to the top on the compression stroke ( just before firing), and then again on the exhaust stroke when the exhaust valves are open. You can't tell by looking at the harmonic balancer.

It might be easier for you to just pull the dizzy and rotate the rotor 180 degrees.
Tom