• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

starting problems

OP
OP
aliensecretion

aliensecretion

Well, different problem now. Hopped in and drive home, stopped to fill up and after, it won't start at all. It acts like the fuel is restricted but I verified it's there (at the TBI) and has pressure. It sputters for a second then just spins just like spraying starter fluid into a carb that's had the fuel line disconnected. Had to leave it at the gas station... hope it's still there in the morning!

Last edited:
OP
OP
aliensecretion

aliensecretion

Jumping the neutral safety switch did solve the issue of the ignition switch working so that mystery is solved. Thanks for the help Paul.

Got it started today after cleaning a few connections and getting a cleaner tach signal to the ECU. it would start but immediately die when I put in gear. I finally reset the tune to default and was able to get it into gear but as soon as I give it gas... it dies again.

I thought maybe a vacuum problem but the computer shows a solid 19-20 up until the engine cuts out. Am I wrong in assuming that rules it out? I didn't have starter fluid to test that way. Same with the RPMs; solid until it shuts off. Any thoughts?

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
And thanks for Rustyt bringing it up!

How's your spark? Combustion can blow out (iterally) when not enough spark is present to light it up.
Good vacuum sounds like good valve action, good timing, and good compression. But it's too early to know with 100% certainty.

Anything else it's doing you can relate?

Paul

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
Giving it gas and dies I would check the fuel pressure at the injector rail and the vacuum control circut on the pressure regulator.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Was that you in another thread that fixed their tach signal to the ECM? If not, I wonder if you could be getting an dirty or erratic tach signal that's giving you so much grief.

And without reading through all the way, what wiring harness are you using, and how many grounds have you added?;D

Sorry if we've discussed it already too many times, but I don't remember and have to run off for a bit.

Thanks

Paul

OP
OP
aliensecretion

aliensecretion

Yes, that's me... have been working on the tuning which was getting really close before this happened. The two threads are starting to blend together it seems!

Stock wiring harness for now. This has convinced me though, that it's finally time to put the painless harness in. Got the instructions sitting right in front of me as a matter of fact. Just got to get the Bronco home first!

OP
OP
aliensecretion

aliensecretion

Giving it gas and dies I would check the fuel pressure at the injector rail and the vacuum control circut on the pressure regulator.

If I'm understanding it right, the tablet display is showing the pressure at the rail (which is reading steady 58 right up to when it dies). As far as the regulator, I'm guessing that's in the sump which I haven't opened up.

OP
OP
aliensecretion

aliensecretion

Just spent the last couple hours working on it. Double checked all the electrical connections, changed fuel filters, double checked for vac leaks, etc. as this point I'm feeling like I've ruled out everything I can think of that doesn't involve the TBI sensors or computer. Can't call edelbrock until Monday so if there are any other ideas... I'm stuck here.

OP
OP
aliensecretion

aliensecretion

Spoke with edelbrock today and they said to try resetting the self-learn values. Did that, warmed it up, put it in gear and drove around. Not sure how they got messed up but that was the problem. Going to wait until the weekend to really try it out... Keep it close to home until I've got confidence in it again.