• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Starting Problems

orange69

I've been fighting a gremlin on this for awhile now. It started out not wanting to crank over, so I replaced the battery and it worked better but there were times when it wouldn't turn over very easily. You could here the starter turning the motor but very slowly, then sometimes it would start turning faster intill it finally started. So I put a new starter on along with a new starter solonoid. (The solonoid would stick sometimes) It started great! So I think I have it solved, then when I took out one hot summer evening, I turned it off then tried to restart it and the same problem. The starter was barely turning the motor over again!:mad: So I let it sit for awhile (2-3hrs) jump in it and it starts great! WTF? I replaced the battery cables a few years ago, could they have been el-cheapo's (Walmart brand) I have checked and double checked the alternator (3G) and its working. I'm stumped at this point. When it wouldn't start this last time, the motor was not hot (170-190). Any ideas what to check?

Thanks

patterdale

Bronco Guru
Sounds like bad cables and or lack of ground connection. The battery shouold be grounded directly to the block. Attach ground straps to the body and whatnot after that. If your cables have a lot of whitish crap in them they are bad. Do not use the type of ends that have a steel clamp on a lead end. Steel along with copper and lead create a three way galvanic corrosion problem. Either buy new cables or make your own with solder on ends. I have to admit that Viper's reccomendation of the crimp type is an excellent idea also I was skeptical untill it became the only alternative to totally new cables on my F-350. They don't corrode like the clamp type ones.

Broncmeister

I had the same problem and it turned out to be the power cable from solenoid to starter.