• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Starting to Wire and freaking..

jmangi62

Bronco Guru
Hey mnido,my point was don't go cheap on the senders,instead of being 99 percent done,I now get to replace both senders again,Oh well live and learn I guess,hey nice job on you're rig,looks great!:cool:

OP
OP
mnido

mnido

Hey mnido,my point was don't go cheap on the senders,instead of being 99 percent done,I now get to replace both senders again,Oh well live and learn I guess,hey nice job on you're rig,looks great!:cool:

Thanks and your initial response was floating around in my head, and it made me look at my column. THANKS !!!!!!

OP
OP
mnido

mnido

Electric Fuel pump

Viperwolf and others, question: I am using an electric fuel pump and Ron Francis crash sensor with relay. I am debating using the ignition toggle (from your ignition toggle diagram) to power an adjacent toggle to switch the fuel pump, or running a separate feed to a toggle from a remote ATC fuse panel in the engine compart. The second option keeps the relay close to the fuse, but so the does the first option. What are your thoughts ? Thanks!

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Do you have any switched power circuits left in your current fusebox? I would just run it from there and not even worry about adding another switch.

OP
OP
mnido

mnido

I probably do and may consider that option. Last night I got my ignition toggle and push button starter wired up but could not get the starter to spin. I will go home tonight and see what I did wrong. When I hooked up the positive lead to the battery I got an initial click at the starter, but the push button would not spin the starter. I am not sure if the click is normal when you hook up the battery or not ??? Anyone know if this is the case ?Thanks Phil !

OP
OP
mnido

mnido

Ok I am embarrassed.. Figured out what the clicking sound was, I mistakenly ran the small jumper wire from my starter to the "left" side of my solenoid, should be the right side! Still does not spin the starter but I think it is because I damaged the solenoid. I looked on YouTube for bench testing and it failed the test. Off to Napa in am. This wiring project is a brain tease, but in some sick way I am enjoying it, just hope I live through it !

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Here is a circuit update to disable the start button when ignition toggle is in ACC position.

Attachments

• betterSlide2 with starter isolation.jpg
    betterSlide2 with starter isolation.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 27
OP
OP
mnido

mnido

Its Alive !

I got the ignition toggle circuit working last night! I turned the ignition toggle to the run position; hit the push button starter and the engine turned over! I almost fainted! 7- 1/2 years I have been waiting to hear that moment. If it had fuel in it I know it would come to life! Thanks to Viperwolf! I was so excited and there was no one around to share in my excitement I called Phil who probably thinks I am a nut (and he's right!) to share my excitement, sorry Phil. I will post a drawing soon showing the complete ignition system, including the charging system. This system is: Ford Explorer alternator, MSD ready to run Distributor/coil, TOMS' mini starter, toggle switch ignition, push button starter.

OP
OP
mnido

mnido

I am just about complete with my wiring. Everything works, no parasitic battery drain, no smoke. I actually put some fuel in the carb and fired it up ! Man it sounds killer ! The bracket with the toggles is a mock up for the console I am installing which will house the toggles. This was definitely a challenge not using a premade harness. Thanks to Viperwolf and others !

Attachments

• 20151124_182813.jpg
    20151124_182813.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 48
  • 20151124_182825.jpg
    20151124_182825.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 40

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
Congratulations its alive and you didn't let the smoke out. Its gotta give you allot of confidence when your out off the beaten path and you already know how to sort any issues that may come up.

OP
OP
mnido

mnido

I will say that when it comes to wiring I am lost, but once you get into it it's not that bad. The huge thing I learned is you need to track on a sketch what your doing and not rely on memory. That way you have a record in case something goes wrong and you need to correct.