• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

STC mass buy vendor rant

Skiddy

Bronco Guru
I feel for you guys as I was watching the progress since it started. I was in on a mass buy a while back for the tops different vendor and had no problems what so ever and did get it pretty quick, but I don't think he would do another one as these mass buys can be a headache.

OP
OP
bigmuddy

bigmuddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Marthasville Missouri
I just checked shipping to Denver from Arkansas and it's a 116.00 freakin dollars! Yikes! The ain't no way I am paying 116 american dollars to ship that top back to STC!

Ben

OP
OP
bigmuddy

bigmuddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Marthasville Missouri
Well guys to go ahead and get this thing over with, I have returned the top to STC via Fed-Ex for 32.00. Helluva difference to UPS 116 dollar qoute eh!

yeah I am out 32.00 but at least this will hopefully get done and over within the next two weeks? I guess I need to figure out what color top to buy and from what vendor.

Ben

jdrambo

Loc.
Boothwyn, PA
do you know any good upholstery shops that could make a white vinyl top.

I know my dad had a vinyl top made for his 68 firebird and it was just a little more than buying a premade one.

HotWheels

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Twilight Zone
bigmuddy said:
I guess I need to figure out what color top to buy and from what vendor.

Ben

Ben,

You do know that Chuck will be releasing his new top here shortly right? That's the one I'm hankerin' fer....money is has been approved by my finance minister (aka wife).

Mick

:)

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
bigmuddy said:
Well guys to go ahead and get this thing over with, I have returned the top to STC via Fed-Ex for 32.00. Helluva difference to UPS 116 dollar qoute eh!
FedEx is usually faster too. I'm using FedEx for my shipping now which is pretty funny since I was in management at UPS 10 years or so ago.

Jeepster

Bronco Guru
Mark Troy said:
Dan, is that opinion or fact?

Well, I guess everything could be based on opinion...but the consensus is..sailclioth is much quiter...less flap, fits better, looks better, UV resistant
Vinyl cracks (can)when cold, UV will tear it up over time ,flaps more....looks..... well, is subject to more opinion.
It does clean well, er as clean as white can be. The sailcloth white is whiter than vinyl white. (I dont know if thats good or bad) Sailcloth is very Uv resistant but needs proper care to help with keeping it clean

Also something to think about.......factory upgrade from ford on the mustangs -vinyl to sailcloth.....

But anyways, I'm not here to pour salt into a wound. Vinyl was bought and vinyl should have been delivered. I personally would question the choice of a white top but thats my opinion.

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
Jeepster said:
Well, I guess everything could be based on opinion...but the consensus is..sailclioth is much quiter...less flap, fits better, looks better, UV resistant
Vinyl cracks (can)when cold, UV will tear it up over time ,flaps more....looks..... well, is subject to more opinion.
It does clean well, er as clean as white can be. The sailcloth white is whiter than vinyl white. (I dont know if thats good or bad) Sailcloth is very Uv resistant but needs proper care to help with keeping it clean

Also something to think about.......factory upgrade from ford on the mustangs -vinyl to sailcloth.....

But anyways, I'm not here to pour salt into a wound. Vinyl was bought and vinyl should have been delivered. I personally would question the choice of a white top but thats my opinion.
You pretty much covered it. The sailcloth type materials are more durable but are harder to keep clean. If I were to go with a white top I too would choose vinyl.

OP
OP
bigmuddy

bigmuddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Marthasville Missouri
Guys I hesitated for a long time about buying a white vinyl top but since I live in the south and I do have a child I opted for the white to hopefully keep things cooler. But the big reason I decided to buy the vinyl was to be able to clean it easier than the sail cloth. To be honest the sail cloth just looks wierd to me in a white top but I'm old school about some things and I guess I need to change my mind. After thinking about it again I will probably buy a black bestop top and buy the two peice soft doors to match. Going to have to rethink the color scheme of my bronco after all this 8-(

Ben

cliffnbc

Loc.
Millsap, TX
Hey bigmuddy , think you are making a good choice. I don't daily drive my EB , it sits inside my shop when I am not driving it , and my Bronco will not run fast enough for me to worry about noise. The windows stay zipped out most of the time. Check out my gallery , the STC guys may not like it but I love my Besttop. The thing I like the best is I got to use it this Summer. Call most venders on this site and they have them in stock. When I called WH they had 15 of the tops that I wanted in stock. ( black with tinted windows ). I told them my STC experience and how I was leaving for Ouray the next week and I had it in three days.