• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Steel Cowl hood

igottastanger

Does anyone make a steel cowl hood, Or in the process of designing one? I dont like hood pins and never have so im just throwing this out there.

Lmfp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Lake Charles, LA
I have a design for one on autocad. Had it made for my bronco. I cut the hole in my hood to big so it came out lookin like poo. But if done right it would be very similar to the hood one the purple bronco crazy horse.

Dusty

Bronco Guru
Some of the fiberglass hoods are made to accept the stock type hood latches. I know the ones I've bought from Wild Horses and BC have been like that. There's a stand-off built into the front underside of the hood so you can use the stock latches, and not have to use hood pins. I know it doesn't answer your question but just throwing it out there in case you were assuming all glass hoods required hood pins.

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
How about these hood pins??

Attachments

• DSC00847.JPG
    DSC00847.JPG
    147.8 KB · Views: 62

Dusty

Bronco Guru
Any more input? i guess i'm the only one whose wanted a metal cowl hood.

My guess is you're not the only one but if you knew what it takes to manufacture something like that you'd understand why nobody does it. Sheetmetal parts like that are made in a huge press with tooling that is extremely expensive to produce and maintain. After the initial investment, the per-unit cost isn't too bad but the initial investment in tooling to make something like that is prohibitive. You'd have to be able to sell thousands of them to re-coup your costs without making the per-unit price so high nobody would buy it. The only other option for a sheetmetal version would be a hand-made one, with some old master like Indian Larry or Jesse James hand-forming it with a bean bag and mallet and smoothing it with a planishing hammer and English wheel. Something like that would also be cost-prohibitive for most of us. That's why fiberglass is so popular. The prototyping and tooling costs are relatively low, so its much cheaper to start producing them. And with that you can have more variety too. Look how many different styles of fiberglass hoods there are out there. To produce a steel one you'd first have to get everyone to agree on a single design for it, then take a head count of how many people want that exact design, and hope its enough to spread the cost out. I just don't think that's very likely.

plumbdoctor

Loc.
Golden
Try the bronco connection... They made one for a customer a couple years ago. Turned out good, but I don't know what they charged that guy