• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Steel cowl or scooped hood? Have you ever saw one?

fordfan

Bronco Guru
I was kicking around the idea of an all steel hood with enough room underneath for a traditional air cleaner on a Cleveland. Wondering if anyone here had ever built one or saw an all steel scooped hood. It would be cool, if when the hood was open, it looked like it came from Ford that way instead of seeing glass fibers. Just wondering..........Maybe someone has photos?!?

Desert Dweller

Loc.
Central WA
when I was redoing my Bronco last fall, I couldn't find one, or even a steel affordable scoop.. I ended up building my own- had to, I needed the clearance since I put in a 351W with no body lift. :cool:

SANY1711.jpg

SANY1712.jpg

OP
OP
fordfan

fordfan

Bronco Guru
Hey Desert....Is the hood you built all steel or steel with a glass bubble? Looks Good.. Ford Man, I had forgotten about that hood.....not really....Its just not available. I was wondering if anyone had built one like the "Highlander" where the original 'detail' was raised an extra 2"-3" and opened in the rear so it would be "cowl induction". Bronco people are always stretching the envelope, but that is what has made "Broncoism" what is today.....ie diesels, mod motors, awesome flexi crawlers, street machines, on and on.... Thanks:p

.94 OR

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Now you have a place for your "cheater" turn signals. I have a mustang GT scoop on my hood and it has the provisions for the factory blinkers in the back of it to remind you that the signal may be left on.

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Dang it, gotta take pics of mine. Someone did a good job on it!

OP
OP
fordfan

fordfan

Bronco Guru

Desert Dweller

Loc.
Central WA
WOW.....200 HRS!!! You think he's worth $3 per hour? LOL.... I would like to see photos....will check out. Desert, did you have any problem with warpage when welding because of the sheet metal on the hood being basicly....unsupported...ie floating on the frame?

No, even tho I tend to overweld--it's welded all the way around, too. My hood already had 1/2 square tubing around the hole that was cut from before. I did end up welding rod around the open end for strength and a piece of flat underneath lengthways to keep it from oilcanning also.
Have you figured out the source of it yet?:cool:

Oh-- I did weld gussets from the hood supports to the hood before, tho. I got tired of the hood flopping when I shut it. I can post pictures if you want.

OP
OP
fordfan

fordfan

Bronco Guru
No, even tho I tend to overweld--it's welded all the way around, too. My hood already had 1/2 square tubing around the hole that was cut from before. I did end up welding rod around the open end for strength and a piece of flat underneath lengthways to keep it from oilcanning also.
Have you figured out the source of it yet?:cool:

Oh-- I did weld gussets from the hood supports to the hood before, tho. I got tired of the hood flopping when I shut it. I can post pictures if you want.

Yes, I would love to see more photos of the structure underneath... The steel bubble does look very familiar.....I'm thinking.....something like a steel waste basket?? Not sure though...Maybe a scoop from a mid 60's Ford Super Duty truck. The one that was off center in the hood...No maybe a steel cooler shell.....I give....?!?

KyleQ

Bronco Guru
I'm going to try and use a Boss 429 hood scoop to clear my EFI stuff.

Desert Dweller

Loc.
Central WA
Yes, I would love to see more photos of the structure underneath... The steel bubble does look very familiar.....I'm thinking.....something like a steel waste basket?? Not sure though...Maybe a scoop from a mid 60's Ford Super Duty truck. The one that was off center in the hood...No maybe a steel cooler shell.....I give....?!?

Ok- here's some shots of the underhood (hope you can see the gussets I added) and another of completed hood. Last photo is donor vehicle.

IMG_0297-1.jpg

IMG_0296-1.jpg

IMG_0298-1.jpg

SANY1690.jpg

OP
OP
fordfan

fordfan

Bronco Guru
Ok- here's some shots of the underhood (hope you can see the gussets I added) and another of completed hood. Last photo is donor vehicle.

IMG_0297-1.jpg

IMG_0296-1.jpg

IMG_0298-1.jpg

SANY1690.jpg
Hey Desert....Thanks for the photos!!!!!!!! I didn't even get close on guessing want the stamping came from!!! I did notice it was red and I noticed two welded holes at the front egde..... and you even used a new wheelbarrow...so no dents and no rust! Did you try to return what's left for a refund or have you figured out another use for the handles and wheel...!!
Thanks for the photos!!!! I still in the scratch my head and stare mode and have sacrificed two hoods. They were junk anyway....:mad:

Desert Dweller

Loc.
Central WA
Hey Desert....Thanks for the photos!!!!!!!! I didn't even get close on guessing want the stamping came from!!! I did notice it was red and I noticed two welded holes at the front egde..... and you even used a new wheelbarrow...so no dents and no rust! Did you try to return what's left for a refund or have you figured out another use for the handles and wheel...!!
Thanks for the photos!!!! I still in the scratch my head and stare mode and have sacrificed two hoods. They were junk anyway....:mad:

Didn't have to try and take it back, local ACE Hardware gave it to me 'cause it had a flat tire and they had no ability to fix a tube... (or ambition).
Someone asked about the little scoupes-- Mopar of some kind, porb offa million dollar car and some Mopar nut will prob scream 'cause I cut them up. Oh well. :cool:

ford man

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Leesburg Ga
hood

Uncut wheelbarrows is the only way to go I never did have much use for the cut ones.

Last edited:

BoltBuster

Bronco Guru
I really like the way you beefed up the hood with the square stock. Where did you find the mini scoops for the vents?

Ive been told that a scoop will remove heat out of the engine bay than a cowl ever will, due to the low pressure effect during driving(or racing)