• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Steering colum bearings

kaw550

Bronco Guru
I just came in from replacing the upper and lower column bearings on a 74 auto column.

I assumed my bearings were bad so I replaced the bearings and the rubber retainers. Even with the new parts I can rock the upper shaft a little at each end. Is it due to the rubber retainer?

I can feel a slight knock in the whell when I turn lock to lock

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Are you sure you're getting the inner races inserted all the way into the bearings? And your lower clamp is pushed up tight against the lower one with the steering wheel all the way up against the column?
And are you sure that the column itself is tightly clamped under the dash and to the firewall? Just wondering if the movement you're feeling is in the inner shaft, or the whole column.

When do you feel the knocking? All the while you're turning, or just once at the end? Or somewhere in the middle?
Is this with the steering linkage disconnected so you're only turning the column? Or are all components turning?
If it's all still hooked up, there are so many things it could be you're going to have to go down the complete list of steering linkage components while listening/feeling for the clunk.

Good luck.

Paul

OP
OP
kaw550

kaw550

Bronco Guru
The column I have has two sealed bearing in the rubber boot.
I do have the steering shaft connected. Disconnected it spins fine. The resistance seems to make it move. And your right, it could be anywhere from the column the wheels.

But,
If I grab the steering wheel I can move it up and down (slightly). It's more noticeable if I grab the upper U joint on the steering shaft and move it up and down. The lower bearing retainer is as tight as I could get it. I guess I could remove the snap ring, slide the shaft down and move up the retainer a little.

The clunk comes into play any time change direction but only when parked or moving slowly.

I should point out that I have a Borgeson steering box and U joints on the steering shaft.

DuneBuster

Loc.
Canton
There is an upper bearing with a plate that holds a plastic wedge shaped circular lock down to the bearing and if the plate is not there or there is play the wedge can come out and give you some play..