• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

steering column lower bearing mystery

68rockcrawler

Bronco Guru
I have an automatic steering column that I got used and I don't know what year it was from. There was no lower column bearing in it when I got it so now I need to get one. I tried to fit a bearing I had from a '68 manual column but it is too large to fit in the indentation in the bottom of the column. Then I ordered part # 17061 from JBG and it's too small or I am missing something. Do I need the "lower steering column retainer seal" part # 17066? I talked to someone at JBG and they were asking me if my current bearing had a bushing or a sleeve holding it in. I don't currently have a bearing or bushing there to go off of so I have no idea. Is there a chance that this column is a '76-77 that uses the more expensive bearing? How do I determine which bearing I need?

Attachments

• 17061.jpg
    17061.jpg
    12.2 KB · Views: 196
  • 7879LOWERCOLUMNBRGTMB.jpg
    7879LOWERCOLUMNBRGTMB.jpg
    9.1 KB · Views: 196

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Good question. I'm not sure but will be interested in the answer.
Besides, this puts it back to the top!

Are you sure it's an Early Bronco column? I'm assuming yes, but had to ask.

Good luck

Paul

72Sport

Bronco Guru
I have an automatic steering column that I got used and I don't know what year it was from. There was no lower column bearing in it when I got it so now I need to get one. I tried to fit a bearing I had from a '68 manual column but it is too large to fit in the indentation in the bottom of the column. Then I ordered part # 17061 from JBG and it's too small or I am missing something. Do I need the "lower steering column retainer seal" part # 17066? I talked to someone at JBG and they were asking me if my current bearing had a bushing or a sleeve holding it in. I don't currently have a bearing or bushing there to go off of so I have no idea. Is there a chance that this column is a '76-77 that uses the more expensive bearing? How do I determine which bearing I need?

17061 goes under the turn signal switch seated in a rubber ring. It is held in with a snap ring. I have a 76 column standing on the steering wheel. Take some pictures of what you have and I will investigate. Maybe there are some features on the outside that will help identify it.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
What kind of gear indicator does the column have? 73 had an unlit indicator with a little shark fin and clear bezel.

OP
OP
68rockcrawler

68rockcrawler

Bronco Guru
The column looks very close to my '68 manual column so I'm pretty sure it is an early bronco column. The gear indicator is broken off and didn't come with the column so I don't have that to look at. I will take some pictures and post them tonight. Thanks for the help.

OP
OP
68rockcrawler

68rockcrawler

Bronco Guru
Here are a few pictures of my column. The spot where the lower bearing goes is 1-5/16" diameter so I need an 1-5/16" diameter bearing.

Attachments

• bronco pics 8-17-08 003.jpg
    bronco pics 8-17-08 003.jpg
    139.9 KB · Views: 36
  • bronco pics 8-17-08 001.jpg
    bronco pics 8-17-08 001.jpg
    150.4 KB · Views: 43
  • bronco pics 8-17-08 002.jpg
    bronco pics 8-17-08 002.jpg
    146.6 KB · Views: 52

ken75ranger

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Troy, NY
You can use the 76 and up bearing. I did in my 75. You just need to remove the collar in the bottom of the column. It has 3 spot welds. Drill them out and weld or screw the new collar in. There's another collar on the shaft. Cut it off and put the new bearing on.

MD

Thanks Ken for the good info.

I always wondered if there was a simple upgrade for my 74 lower column bearing.

Michael

OP
OP
68rockcrawler

68rockcrawler

Bronco Guru
I just put the '76 and up bearing in my column and it worked great. I had to cut out the original bearing collar and then I welded in the new bearing collar. It works really nice.