• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

steering from a stop position

Hawaii

Have PS on my 73'. Steering great on road and highway - no death wobbles. its when i turn out of my driveway, the steering is difficult amd produces allot of tension. Any recommendations on where i start the troubleshooting?

B RON CO

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Statesville, NC
Hi, do you feel this happening all the time, or only when in 4 WD. I get some steering resistance only in 4 WD on only on slow tight turns. Never on the open road, and never when in 2 WD. Good luck

surfer-b

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Does it just do this when first started, it's cold, if so it's the pump, can also do it when it gets warm, the seals will start to leak in the pump

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Need more details as mentioned above.

Also, if you rev the engine up a little bit (~2000 RPM) does it get a lot better? The pump output may be too weak at idle.

I suspect that large grippy tires are just too much for what the stock power steering can do.

Do you have wheel spacers? Those really hurt the scrub radius. A bad scrub radius will make the power steering fight the brakes. As you are trying to turn the steering the wheels need to roll (because of bad scrub radius) and the brakes are holding the tires from turning. The power steering either has to overpower the brakes or force the tires to slide over the ground.