• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Steering play

Outshine2

Loc.
Orange County, CA
I tried the search but couldn't get relevent to pull up... The manual box in my 75 has some play in it, is there any way to tighten it up for a little while (hope to be getting a power steering setup here in a bit). I have heard of adjusting the sector shaft? Any ideas for some temporary adjustment?

cadun

Loc.
Santa Barbara &amp San Francisco, Ca
There's an adjusting screw on the top of the box that you can tighten down and should fix some of the slop if the play is in the box and not anywhere further south. You have to watch out though, if you tighten it down too much it'll wreck the box. Everything I've ever heard is go 1/4 turn at a time and check to see if it's fixed anything, and go back if you need to.

77bronko

Loc.
Norfolk MA
Jack the front of the truck up and turn the wheel lock to lock, it should be smooth with no binding anywhere. Turn the screw in 1/4 turn at a time and turn the box lock to lock. You can keep turning the screw 1/4 turn at a time till you feel some drag in the steering wheel then back off a little. Then you should be OK. If you tighten the screw too much it jams the sector shaft into the other gear it meshes with causing them to wear very quickly.

JTCamp

Loc.
Austin, Texas
[quote author=77bronko link=board=5;threadid=9700;start=0#69604 date=1033422323]<br>Jack the front of the truck up and turn the wheel lock to lock, it should be smooth with no binding anywhere. Turn the screw in 1/4 turn at a time and turn the box lock to lock. You can keep turning the screw 1/4 turn at a time till you feel some drag in the steering wheel then back off a little. Then you should be OK. If you tighten the screw too much it jams the sector shaft into the other gear it meshes with causing them to wear very quickly.<br>[/quote]<br>I agree with everything, but I was told to have the slight drag when the steering is straight, not everwhere. Find the center of the box and tighten until you feel a slight drag over that point.

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
Adjusting the box when straight ahead is the worst place to do it. the most wear is straight ahead, then almost as bad when turned right. (curb impact damage when turned right) adjust the box wheels up and turned almost to full lock left turn. loosen screw lock nut and adjust the screw down to light finger snug and no more. hold in place and lock down the jam nut. It may end up a little loose when straight ahead but you wont be jamming the gears together. The problem with jaming the gears is the gears will shed the metal in large pieces and pollute the fluid and jam the valves in a power box. A manual by nature is more tolerant of a tight box. After tighting the box you should feel no difference in turning the wheel with the tires jacked up. If there is then it is too tight for unevenly worn parts. Dont adjust to a like new box just get most of the slop out.<br>I hope this helps.

c2computer

Loc.
Castle Rock, CO
I think I will put my new radius arms on first, improve the caster and see how it drives. I can't afford a new steering box right now and leaving it alone sounds good to me.