• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Steering revamp: help me

jperry1290

I have a 70 EB that currently has the solid steel rod steering shaft. I am in the middle of doing a 4x4x2 box swap and need to attach the new steering shaft.

From anyones experience should I swap out the steering column now? I was looking at the Summit brand tilt columns, just don't have a budget for the WH columns

How hard is it to weld the ujoint to the shaft or grind the shaft to a double "d"

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
You don't need to replace the column, that is a want item, if you do want one when it fits the budget.

You can cut the double D in the (shortened) shaft with a hand file it isn't hardened.
Best to go slow on it so you don't cut too much.

Superwoody

Loc.
Skyline
I am in the same boat as you with my 70'. I will be doing the Explorer auto/5.0 swap and am looking for something cheaper than the Ididit columns with shifter built in.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Don't weld the new joint/yoke for a couple of reasons.
At the very least, the manufacturers all recommend against it for the heat effecting the bearings and lube, and whatever else (seals?) that might be sensitive.
But the main reason is that it's never going to be a simple service item again!

Best to cut the shaft, grind the DD to fit a 3/4" double-D yoke, dimple it for the set screws, and be done with it.
But remember, Loctite is your best friend on this job!

Paul

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Oh, and then down the road when you're ready to swap columns, you will need a new upper joint most likely. The two most common interfaces for columns are 3/4" x 36 spline and 1" DD. To fit the old shaft, your yoke is by necessity a smaller 3/4" DD to fit the stock shaft.

Paul

OP
OP
jperry1290

jperry1290

Has anyone drilled their 3/4 round and placed a bolt into it instead of grinding the "DD"? Post pictures if possible. Just wondering how hard it is to get a nice straight hole and if it can be dome without removing the column.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I'm sure others have done it as well over the years. But the DD is actually easier I would think. Taking only a grinder, or in lieu of that, a file will do it. Takes a lot longer than a grinder, but either has to be easier than drilling a good hole that's not too big for strength of the shaft, or too small for strength of the bolt.
Obviously it can be done reliably though, if Justin was able to do it and not have a failure. But did that include having to turn the wheel with the power steering disabled I wonder?
Did you use the small size bolt that fits the set-screw holes Justin? Or did you drill out the joints at the same time, for a larger bolt? Or perhaps the joints you used were intended for bolts originally?

The whole point of the DD is that it's physically impossible for the joint to spin on the shaft even if the set-screws become loose.
Obviously, my vote is for the DD even if it means purchasing a cheap grinder for the job. I still think that would be easier than drilling. And cheaper than a new drill press!;D

It might not be too cost-prohibitive to have a shop do the work I suppose. Maybe if they know you and want to take pity on you and only charge you "what it's worth" rather than shop time. But in most situations you're going to pay for setup and shop time.
Big bucks for a single hole I would think.

Good luck either way though. Might depend on if you want some new tools in your garage.;D

Paul