• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

What is this steering issue?

OP
OP
R

RealJakeMalloy

If I am going to just go ahead and replace the entire column the fact that it currently is from two different eras is irrelevant, correct? It only matters if I want to somehow repair this version?

Also, what is the expected cost to replace the column - assuming I spend $1200 on the new column, what kind of bill should I expect from a decent shop to put it in?

steelworker77

I think you should take it somewhere and have it checked out that is familiar with it. It may just be 20$ worth of parts you need and not that much labor to repair. I am guessing you just need the spring, the spacer at the spring and just simply re adjusting everything.

ssray

Loc.
South Central NE
There are three pics in that first image but I didn’t notice until I went to zoom it. There is a telescoping lower in the third pic but as yeller pointed out the rag joint looks distorted. I’m wondering if the lower could be stuck and pulling on the rag. Two of the bolts in the rag are short and don’t pass through the slots. Long ones not correct with the pin ends like yeller‘s pic. And as dmoses42 mentioned mismatch in the rag ends? In one post you mention “not like 0 power steering”. Makes me think 76/77 PS and lower shaft with 73/75 upper like dmoses42. Link below has descriptions. Check and see if you can get any slip action in that lower as well. Won’t move very far (unless you unbolt the rag joint) but should slide freely. Maybe needs lubing/cleaning. Just some other items to look at, besides your upper column issues.

Parts and descriptions of the different years.

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

RealJakeMalloy

There are three pics in that first image but I didn’t notice until I went to zoom it. There is a telescoping lower in the third pic but as yeller pointed out the rag joint looks distorted. I’m wondering if the lower could be stuck and pulling on the rag. Two of the bolts in the rag are short and don’t pass through the slots. Long ones not correct with the pin ends like yeller‘s pic. And as dmoses42 mentioned mismatch in the rag ends? In one post you mention “not like 0 power steering”. Makes me think 76/77 PS and lower shaft with 73/75 upper like dmoses42. Link below has descriptions. Check and see if you can get any slip action in that lower as well. Won’t move very far (unless you unbolt the rag joint) but should slide freely. Maybe needs lubing/cleaning. Just some other items to look at, besides your upper column issues.

Parts and descriptions of the different years.
Thanks so much to everyone for their input. I found a guy here locally that has worked on 50+ of these and he is going to take a look next week and see what is going on. I wish someone would offer a weekend where non-mechanical folks who want to learn can come - almost like a Bronco Bootcamp! Would be a fun weekend!

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
Thanks so much to everyone for their input. I found a guy here locally that has worked on 50+ of these and he is going to take a look next week and see what is going on. I wish someone would offer a weekend where non-mechanical folks who want to learn can come - almost like a Bronco Bootcamp! Would be a fun weekend!
Those have been known to happen. Post up your location and ask, I’ve been know to travel 30 minutes to a long hard day away to participate.

ssray

Loc.
South Central NE
Basically allows some misalignment between the shafts and maybe isolates vibration a bit. Might have been used in some older vehicles without a telescoping shaft to allow for movement between the body and frame mounted steering box.

Last edited:

m_m70

Contributor
Loc.
Pacifica, CA
Those have been known to happen. Post up your location and ask, I’ve been know to travel 30 minutes to a long hard day away to participate.
been to quite a few over the years.......shared a lot, learned a lot and helped a lot. As Yeller said, post location and ask!

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I may be wrong, but I’m pretty sure the primary function of a rag joint is vibration isolation.
Keeping the hydraulic high frequency vibration out of the steering wheel.
Rag joint systems are usually used in conjunction with at least one universal joint. The joint accommodates the misalignment, where the rag joint stays straight.
I’m sure they allow a little misaligned as well, but I don’t think it would be very desirable to have the rag joint do all the flexing. They would wear out prematurely if the deflection was large enough.
Same with it being a bad idea to have the rag joint mounted down by the steering box, as lots of vehicles were. Once they become contaminated with oil, they deteriorate much quicker.
There are some dry rag joints out there that are 50 years old and better. Whereas some fluid soaked rags were already falling apart in the 70s.