• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Steering shaft bell replacement?

Smokeater11

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Auburndale,FL
What do I need to use to replace my steering shaft bell with some sort of u- joint? The internal cage broke on my bell and the whole shaft will pull out of the bell rendering the steering wheel useless. I would like to put some sort of u-joint in it's place but have no idea where/what to get one off of. It's a 66 with manual box and there's no rag joint just a solid shaft. I think they have a different spline count than the PS boxes. Since I did my lift my shaft is a little too short as well so I thought that adding a u-joint would make up the difference. I thought I read somewhere that the u-joint from the late 70's big Broncos and pick ups would work but I can't find that post now. Does anyone know what will work? I'd like to just disassemble the bell and weld on a u-joint with the correct splines for a manual box if possible.

Explorer

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Raphine, Virginia
As far as the u-joint goes, the steering shaft is 3/4". Measure the steering box shaft and count the teeth. I think it's 3/4" 36 spline. You can get a u-joint from Summit, Flaming River, Borgenson.

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
Just about all the parts houses will have what you need. Give them a call and tell them what you are looking to do and they can get you the correct u-joint. Wild Horses even sells a replacement bell if you wanted to go the stock route.