• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

steering stabilizer

richard.david1

Loc.
ft. stewart, ga.
i recently replaced the steering stabilizer on the bronco i purchased. the previous owner had a universal mounting kit attached to the trac bar. when i mounted the new one in the correct spot i noticed that it comes down at an angle because of the drop pitman arm. does anyone make degreed bushings or a drop bracket like the stock one that bolts to the frame? i'd make my own but my welding skills aren't very good yet.

TN1776

Bronco Guru
I say ditch the steering stabilizer and focus on making sure the front end is properly aligned. I run without a stabilizer and my rig steers just fine (and I have a 5.5" lift and 37" tires).

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Never seen a drop spacer or bracket for re-aligning the stabilizer after adding a pitman arm, but they might still exist. A simple spacer should be easy enough to fab up, but frankly, if it's going to take a bunch, I'd leave the whole thing off like TN mentioned.
While I never had a problem with mine, I removed it too, after several other mods to the steering system made it a hassle. Ran it for years and many miles as a daily driver without one and never had any trouble. Then again though, mine was pretty well laid out with good tires, tight joints and (other than insuficient caster) good alignment.

So, sounds like you can either space it down, move it back to the trackbar, leave it mounted at an angle, or remove it altogether. Too much angle is not good, so give the "leave it off" scenario a try at least, just to see how yours works that way. That'll give you a better idea of whether or not to keep messing with it.

Paul

67ster

Bronco Guru
I too ditched the stabilizer on the "Ster" after installing power steering. Mine isn't lifted but it does suffer from insufficient caster and will on occasion get a wobble for no particular rhyme or reason. I have a 44 in the shed awaiting a caster"cut and turn" and re-gearing and will see if the stab. is needed.