• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

steering stabilizers

73stallion

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Eugene, OR
okay guys, another dead horse here. what are the advantages to running one or not running one? i'm considering buying chuck's heim joint steering system and i'm wondering if i should just leave the stabilizer off.

i have a 2.5" lift running 31-12.50 tires on 15x10 rims if it makes any difference. it's also a street driver primarily.

45acp

Loc.
Texarkana AR
IMHO all a steering stabilizer does is mask problems with the steering itself. Also, if you're running large tires hard offroad with a locker and stock steering the stabilizer is just something extra the box and pump will have to fight. Just an opinion, but if your steering is setup right and your alignment is decent you wont need a stabilizer.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
History and experience…

History. In the early days of off road racing, they found that the bearings in the steering box would get destroyed at the end of the race. The stabilizer (actually steering damper for correct terminolegy) was imployed to take the severe impacts and cushion them before they hit the steering box.

Experience. I run one. I put a fresh one on when I put the new steering box on just for long term durability of the steering box. One day on the trail the frame mounted bracket broke. The only thing I noticed on the day of trail riding and the drive home was one thing. If I drove over a rock and caught the edge of the tire, the steering wheel wanted to kick out of my hands really fast. At first I thought I was just catching a few rocks harder then usual. But after I got home I realized that it was just that the stabilizer bracket was broken. I took it off and drove on the street for a couple of weeks. Couldn’t tell if it was there or not.

Now why are you going to install one?
Save the steering box (and maybe a few fingers) when on the trail? Then yes put one on.
Because you have a shimmy on the road? Find the right fix, not a band aid.

OP
OP
73stallion

73stallion

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Eugene, OR
i have one on my truck right now, i'm just wondering if it's necessary. i'm going to go with chuck" heim steering system and i'm trying to figure out if i want to bother with it.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Forgot to mention, when the bracket broke I was running the heim joint steering. It is an older one from Performance Unlimited. It is set up real nice with no bump steer. After the bracket broke, I put it back on to continue saving the steering box.

I would recomend running one for the simple reason in that it helps the box live longer and doesn't beat you up as much on the trail. Street trucks can spend there money in better places, like a chrome water pump pulley.

KJHill

Contributor
Loc.
Central WA
I should get me one of those chrome water pump pulleys! ;D It would be the only shinny thing under my hood. %)