• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Steering wheel options (van column)

pcf_mark

Bronco Guru
I have a 79 E series van (non-tilt) in my Bronco I installed when I added my 4R70W. The wheel has two pads that you press for the horn. It is a wreck - cracked, split, cigarette burns etc. Does anyone know what aftermarket or other OEM wheels are compatible with this column?

Thanks!

broncodriver99

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Glen Allen, VA
I have a '79 Van column as well. IIRC any of the 78-86 ish van and truck wheels will work. I think some of the later wheels work as well but something may be different with the splines. The wheels and horn pads are available aftermarket but pricey(dennis carpenter). I think I have some spare parts floating around as I picked up several columns and put one together with the best parts from each. Are you looking for a whole wheel or just the pad?

OP
OP
pcf_mark

pcf_mark

Bronco Guru
My wheel is actually missing chucks they just cracked and fell out! Thanks for the parts offer.

Anyone have an aftermarket wheel on one of these columns?

Crush

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Greenbottom, WV
I have a LaCarra wheel on mine. I had to make the adapter. they offer one but i didnt like it. grant makes an adapter but it is hard to find, you can pretty much put what you want on them with the right adapter. search google or ebay for adapters and wheels and yo will get many options

rucr8tive

I have a 79 E series van (non-tilt) in my Bronco I installed when I added my 4R70W. The wheel has two pads that you press for the horn. It is a wreck - cracked, split, cigarette burns etc. Does anyone know what aftermarket or other OEM wheels are compatible with this column?

Thanks!
I know this thread is very old but wanted to share that I was able to pull a steering wheel from a 1978 Ford Econoline van at pick ur part and it fit my OEM 1976 steering wheel column on my Bronco. Which is pretty damn sweet considering how expensive a new one is.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
That’s great. It’s always fun to get lucky at a junkyard.
Thanks for the info and updating this thread.