• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Steering wheel pulls out easy

jperry1290

Just disassembled my ‘70 3 speed manual column to remove the shift tabs and shifter lever. What keeps the steering wheel and 3/4 shaft tight inside the column? Mine is pulling backward very easy after the rebuild.

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
My '73 had a clamp at the bottom of the column that had to be tightened down to keep the shaft from sliding in and out,
Hope that helps,

OP
OP
jperry1290

jperry1290

I did not have this clamp on the shaft after installing the collapsible shaft. This has only occurred after removing the shifter and shift tabs

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Your '70 should have had that clamp. Not sure what would have held it tight without it, but maybe something was done to it prior to you working on it.
However, that's the part that will get the job done like it did originally.

It effectively puts tension on the inner race of the lower bearing. Yours should also have a spring up top that puts upward tension against this clamp.
To get it done easily, a helper gently pushed down on the steering wheel against the spring, until the gap at the bell is just right. Then the person hanging out in the engine compartment slides the clamp up firm and tightens the bolt/nut on it.

Works pretty well.
Even if yours did not have it for some reason, in theory it should still work. As long as it's a Bronco column that is.
Any reason to suspect it's not perhaps?

Paul

OP
OP
jperry1290

jperry1290

Dirt donk- it is for sure a ‘70 Bronco column and shaft. I did find the original clamp last night in the garage. The main problem is that I started my 4x4x2 steering swap months ago and kept getting distracted by life. When I cut the original 3/4 shaft and ground a DD I did not account for the clamp. Now I do not have enough room between the bearing and steering ujoint for the clamp. Temporarily I have added 3 washers to take up the space so I can continue testing the steering and do a few slow speed maneuvers in front of the house. Could the ‘70 column be converted to accept a different bearing or is there a different spacer/clamp I could use?

I did drive it around the neighborhood for a bit before taking out the old 3spd column shifter. There was no clamp at that time and the steering did not pull out once. That only started after I pulled the 3spd shifter

Last edited:

bronkenn

Contributor
Bronco Guy
Loc.
Southeast Ohio
You could shorten the column itself and get room for the clamp. I did mine and got rid of the shift arms and the ugly end of the column. Pretty easy job. Cleans up the engine bay a bit too. Just a thought. Ken

Attachments

• column1.jpg
    column1.jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 30
  • column2.jpg
    column2.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 26
  • column3.jpg
    column3.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 28
  • column4.jpg
    column4.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 29
  • column5.jpg
    column5.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 37
  • column6.jpg
    column6.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 31

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Wow, you don't go to extremes, do you Ken!
Pretty clean work. A LOT of it, but nice result.

jperry, just how much is left between the upper yoke/joint and the lower bearing? Do you think you could grind some material off of the clamp to allow it to fit in-between? Or is it so tight there's no way?

I don't know why it was tight before the work you did, but a clamp of some kind would be very helpful at this point.
Can you come up with something of your own design maybe? Or even just a hose clamp holding something like plastic tubing?
Or heck, not even a clamp. Just size a piece of 3/4" ID pipe/tube, with enough thickness that the OD is large enough to push against the bearing race, rather than slip inside it.

Speaking of the race.... Do you have this piece in there as well?
Early Lower Steering Column Sleeve/Race

It's what the lower clamp is supposed to hold in place that the bearing rides on. Acts as the inner race since the ball bearings don't ride directly on the column shaft.

Paul

OP
OP
jperry1290

jperry1290

Bronkenn-I like the idea of shortening the column and removing the slot for the tabs, looks really good.

Dirtdonk- the bearing, race, and felt washed are all there. The washers are about 1/4in total and about the same diameter as the bearing and does hold the race in place.

bronkenn

Contributor
Bronco Guy
Loc.
Southeast Ohio
Thanks JP and Paul. That is a good idea Paul with a piece of 3/4 ID tube to slipover the shaft and would be easy to tap a set screw in it. Ken