• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

steering

cadun

Loc.
Santa Barbara &amp San Francisco, Ca
I know this is getting a little redundant with all the writeups out there, but I have a PS upgrade question. I'm trying to do the 4x2 F150 conv. but I don't really know what the hell I'm doing, so I'm more or less just stumbling around. Anyway, I went to the junkyard today, and found a '76 F250, and I tried to pull the box out of that, but I didn't bring one of those pickle forks with me and I couldn't get box off the pitman arm or the tie rods (I banged the sh%t out of it and didn't get anywhere :mad:) So I guess I have to go back tomorrow with the right tool, but I'm wondering if there's anything else I should be pulling off besides the box. I'm going to get a new pump from Napa (not the Saginaw one), and I guess order the bracket from one of the bronco stores, and other than that I think I need an adjustable drag link, but whatever else is beyond me. If there's any words of wisdom out there I'd love to hear them, and anything I'm forgetting.... ?:?

rulebreaker

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Manton MI
[quote author=CADUN link=board=5;threadid=8970;start=0#63967 date=1031718110]<br>I know this is getting a little redundant with all the writeups out there, but I have a PS upgrade question. I'm trying to do the 4x2 F150 conv. but I don't really know what the hell I'm doing, so I'm more or less just stumbling around. Anyway, I went to the junkyard today, and found a '76 F250, and I tried to pull the box out of that, but I didn't bring one of those pickle forks with me and I couldn't get box off the pitman arm or the tie rods (I banged the sh%t out of it and didn't get anywhere :mad:) So I guess I have to go back tomorrow with the right tool, but I'm wondering if there's anything else I should be pulling off besides the box. I'm going to get a new pump from Napa (not the Saginaw one), and I guess order the bracket from one of the bronco stores, and other than that I think I need an adjustable drag link, but whatever else is beyond me. If there's any words of wisdom out there I'd love to hear them, and anything I'm forgetting.... ?:?<br>[/quote]Why not a saginaw pump? It will work better and last longer!

swood

Loc.
San Jose, CA
I'm assuming you are doing the steering gear box swap as listed in the tech articles on the BC Broncos site.<br><br>I did this swap as well and you are at the hardest stage right now, finding the two boxes. Yep, you need a pickle fork or go get a puller for 15 bucks from the autoparts store. Also make sure to check sites like ebay and so forth, you may get lucky and save some hunting time.<br><br>I would be happy to help if you have questions once you get the box and go to do the gear swap. It really is very easy.

rulebreaker

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Manton MI
[quote author=Bones link=board=5;threadid=8970;start=0#64332 date=1031804752]<br>Did you guys use the stock pitman arm, or get a drop pitman?<br>[/quote]I would do the tie rod over convertion.

swood

Loc.
San Jose, CA
As far as the drop arm goes, you need to decide on going with the tie rod over conversion or not. Basically the bottom line is you want the angle of the track bar and drag link to be roughly the same. If you install a lift with a drop track bar bracket, chances are you must either do a tie rod over conversion, or simply use a drop pitman arm.

OP
OP
C

cadun

Loc.
Santa Barbara &amp San Francisco, Ca
I was planning on just putting 4x2 box on instead of getting the 4x4 as well and swapping the core, but that's just because I thought putting the 4x2 on was easier. ?:? I'm not entirely sure that my truck has the lift though that the 4x2 box would need, so maybe the 4x4 would be a better option. How hard is it to swap all the worm gearing and stuff between the boxes? I still gotta get this done and then start on getting the pump set up too, so I'm looking for the most bolt-on friendly option. Any help is well appreciated. Thanks-

swood

Loc.
San Jose, CA
Swapping the internals out is really really easy.<br><br>1) Unbolt and remove the vertical shaft, it will slide right out.<br>2) Unbolt the 3 bolts on the forward houseing.<br>3) Use your fingers inside the open top and push on the rack gear. The entire assembly will slide right out, still attached to the front houseing.<br><br>DO NOT turn the worm gear all the way out or you will have bearings everywhere and it's a pain to reassemble. Just slide the whole assembly into the 4x4 box and tighten the bolts.<br><br>If you inspect the gears and find damage, use the 4x2 box as a core, get a new rebuilt one and then putt the rebuild innards into the 4x4 box. It should run you about $180 from the parts store.<br><br>You will have to do some drilling on the frame rails to relocate the holes, but the beefier 4x4 box is just fantastic. Incredibly strong and fits in nicely.