• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Stereo Gurus...need your advice

Sbolt19

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Colorado Springs
I am finally going to get around to putting a stereo back in my EB after 7 years...%) Anyway, where is a good place to buy one, what kind should I get? I was thinking of one with an MP3 hook up as well as CD player. I was thinking about mounting it in a Tuffy type center console but was told that CD players don't like to be mounted at more than a 15-20 degree incline. I was also thinking about going with a marine unit for the sealed aspects.

Thoughts???? Opinions???

And on the back end of that, what kind of speakers should I get. I plan on building my own boxes and mounting at least 1 pair (6x9??) behind the seats and possibly another pair (6" round) in the kick panels. What are thoughts with that too?

I have been without tunes for so long that anything will be great right now, I just don't want to spend $1000 on a complete sound system. I was thinking in the $500 range for everything....if it is possible.

Broncos n' VWs

Here is a good starting point for you

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id=pcmcat62700050003&type=category

It's pretty easy to pick up a head unit that does everything you will want for under $200.00. As far as mounting in the Tuffy console, the head units today work a little better than they did 7 years ago, so most of the better name brand CD players should work just fine in the Tuffy console.

My speakers are in 6X9 enclosures (cheap-o generic boxes $20 for the pair)
and my 5 1/4" are in the existing holes cut at the bottom of the door (previous owner hack job). I don't like them there, as they make the door resonate and sound tinny, but it's better than a gaping hole being there. I just adjust the fader to the 6X9 speakers and the subwoofers and don't even use the front door speakers.

edit* I've never had a marine grade CD player, but I can tell you this... I have never had any issues with my CD player getting wet and frying. I say just go with a plain old regular deck.

Last edited:

Devin

Bronco Kineticist
I helped select the components and install the system that is in my father-in-law's rig. He has a Tuffy box and the CD player (Kenwood) does just fine in it. As far as where to get stuff, you can do a lot of searching on the internet and get some smoking deals - but at a price. In my experience, most of the "super-price" places aren't "authorized" dealers. In other words, if you buy something from them, the warranty is no good should the part go bad.

Out of all of the different places that I have purchased stereo components, I have had the best luck with Crutchfield. They don't always have the best prices, but if you wait for sales, you can do pretty good. Plus, I have had really great experiences with their customer service and tech help.

As far as what kind to get - that is a tough one. I have had really good luck with Pioneer decks in the past - I am kind of partial to them. I am also really impressed with Kenwood. I am not a big fan of Alpine, but I know guys who love them.

If you aren't looking to put a monster system in, you should easily be able to do it for $500. However, if you want to start adding more power (amps), and more bass (kickers) - get ready to lay down some coin.

Hope this helps some.

Madgyver

Bronco Madman
I got the best deals at BestBuy..........

I walked in, $280. and 20 minutes later I walked out with a damn good Pioneer deck with remote and four Pioneer 6"x8" 4-way speakers.

I was able to negotiate the price down a bit because the box was damage (who needs the box?) and the Pionner speakers were for factory replacements the doesn't come with a grill.
I made my own inner quarters and mounted the speakers without grills and them perform great...

Attachments

• DSC02671.JPG
    DSC02671.JPG
    143.9 KB · Views: 82
  • DSC02672.JPG
    DSC02672.JPG
    144.5 KB · Views: 76
  • DSC02673.JPG
    DSC02673.JPG
    140 KB · Views: 67
Last edited:

ochretoe

Loc.
Millington
Ditto on Best Buy. I got mine for $129 installed. I already had a speaker box but they hooked everything up and labeled the front speaker wires for me to add on later. Mine also has an MP3 port and everything works great. Its mounted in das and gets wet a lot but no problems in the past three years.

stock74

The Alpine head unit I have mounted in my Tuffy center console plays CD's just fine and the sound quality is great, I have had it along with two 6x9 MBquart speakers for about 5 years now without any problems. I made custom brackets made from aluminum to mount the speakers behind the front seats inside of the rear quarter panels. I also made covers for the quarter panels made from abs plastic with holes cut out and perforated steel riveted over the holes, then the top half of the panel was covered in fabric and the lower half was covered with carpet. I made a box that fits under the rear bench seat which holds two 8" subs. I would also recommend installing dynamat inside of the quarter panels behind the speakers especially if you mount the speakers in the quarter panels. You would be amazed at how much sound escapes through the quarter panels. I like to have things like the stereo hidden out of site out of mind for thieves, not to mention it gives the interior a nice clean look. If you have any questions or want to see pics of how I set up my stereo let me know. Good luck!:)

bronko69er

EB Addict
Loc.
Renton, WA
If you are going with the tuffy stereo console, make sure you don't get a deck with a motorized fold out face plate. Don't ask me how I know this. :mad:

Kaw-Liga

Loc.
Palm Coast, FL
Picked up a new CD/mp3 player at Best Buy for around 180$, bought the extended wty for it. If it breaks(any reason, to include water, dirt, mud, etc) withing 4 years they will replace it. I had a manager sign off confirming it just cause it sounded too good to be true! It is a regular automotive cd player that I put in my Tuffy CC.

Rob

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
If you are going with the tuffy stereo console, make sure you don't get a deck with a motorized fold out face plate. Don't ask me how I know this. :mad:

I don't need to ask why and it doesn't really matter if it's in the console or not. I just replaced the JVC I had a few months back with an Alpine since the ribbon cable or whatever it is that runs the door broke. It did last about 2 years though which was longer than the Pioneer I had in it first. It only lasted about 2 months and then it started eating CD's. (It had a slot in front that allowed too much dust to get into it)

2 cautions. Don't get one with a motorized door on the faceplate and don't get one that has a slot in the faceplate to put CD's in. (Get one with a non-motorized faceplate that opens to put CD's in) The motorized doors break eventually and the open slot allows dust to get into it.

I also run a marine cover for mine that helps keep dust and moisture out of it. It also hides the stereo somewhat since the cover is smoke colored. I.E. Someone can tell it covers a radio but without opening the cover they can't tell if it's a cheap or expensive one.

One other item worth mentioning is that one that can play MP3 and WMA files will allow you to load up several albums onto one CD (I think I get 10 or 12 on each one) which for many are sufficient for a weekend in the woods where radio reception is often sketchy at best.

Flippin71FI

Loc.
Stockton
Don,
How does that Alpine unit work with CDs? I have a Tuffy Center Console in mine and the Kenwood I used to have (until I lost the face plate) never skipped. The Jensen I have now is terrible. It skips like crazy at any speed over about 35 or 40. It must not like the angle.