• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Still not running right

Chief Master Sergeant

Retired U.S. Air Force
Over the past few months I have done the Duraspark conversion and replaced the crappy carb I had with another I bought and rebuilt. The rebuilt carb has an electric choke, which I think is hooked up right. Yesterday I fired it up to move it out of the garage and drove it around for awhile with no problems. About 4 hours later a friend stopped by and we tried to take it for a spin and as soon as I let off the clutch, it died It started to buck and sputter out. It seems to idle okay and the funny thing is, it doesn't die when you travel in reverse. WTF? I know it's probably just my lack of ability to tune the carb, but am I missing something else? How do I know if the electric choke is working properly? Does it have to be adjusted?

oleguy74

Bronco Guru
Loc.
calif city ca
there are adjustments you can make .first make sure it opens all the way.the black cap on the choke can be set lean or rich.see arrows on cap.make sure you have power to choke

DonsBolt

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Chestnut Hill, Mass
First off what carb are you running??

Though on pretty much any carb the electric choke works pretty much the same.

The power wire must be connected to a switch power source, when the key is off it has no power to it, when you start the truck power goes to the electric choke.

Inside the black plasic cap on the right side of the carb there is a metal spring.

When the truck is cold, and no power is going to the spring the spring is relaxed, which makes the choke close, reducing the amount of air going into the carb and making it run richer.

When you get into your truck, you pump the gas pedal 2-3 times it activated the high speed idle cam on the right side of the carb. Sincee the engine is cold, and no power has been going to the spring in the choke, the choke is now closed. So when you start the truck, it is running richer, and the cam for the high speed idle is activated.

As power goes into the spring, it slowlly tightens up and as it does it it pulls the choke open. As it opens the extra rich condition of the choke being closed slowlly goes away, and the high speed cam relases. A fuel injection system does the same thing but all electroniclly.

If you have the wire from the choke going to a constant power source, like direct to the battery it will never close, and thus never make the engine run rich when you start her up cold.

So here is what to look for
Take your air cleaner off, pump the gas pedal two times. Go look at the carb, and make sure the choke is closed. If so then start it up, and watch the choke plate. It should slowlly open up as the power goes to the spring. After a few minutes it should fully open.

By loosening the 3 screws on the side of the black plastic cover for the spring you can adjust how quicklly the choke opens. In the summer you can let it open faster, in the winter adjust it so it opens slower

OP
OP
Chief Master Sergeant

Chief Master Sergeant

Retired U.S. Air Force
Well, it wouldn't stay running long enough to see if the choke was working. I started seeing gas seep out the carb where the upper seal mates to the top cover. (This is a Motorcraft 2100) I assume it might have something to do with my float. Does that sound right? It ran for about two minutes and then started sputtering and died.

OP
OP
Chief Master Sergeant

Chief Master Sergeant

Retired U.S. Air Force
I'll check that tomorrow. I used my circuit tester to check the electric choke and it has power from the Stator post on the alternator when the vehicles cranked, so I know it has power to it. Now to figure out the float and we'll be good. Is it really as simple as bending the wire for the float?

oleguy74

Bronco Guru
Loc.
calif city ca
also make sure float don't leak.they have been known to.especialy if they are brass.did you save the gauge from the kit?