• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

still not running right

OP
OP
N

nkhd1

I did a compression test the other day with the engine cold.
ran down one side 130-140
the other side was 140-150
went back to the first side 140-150
figured it was oil getting to the cylinders
let it compress about three times each cylinder

This morning found top dead with a wooden dowel in the cylinder. Noticed when at TDC and wiggling to get it at very top there was some wiggle with no movement in stick.
Ran worse than yesterday. Would stumble when giving it gas unless I was giving it slowly.
TDC on cylinder 1 was at 0 on the balancer.

I have 6 maybe 7 degrees slack in the timing chain. What is the limit?

Last edited:
OP
OP
N

nkhd1

bump on timing chain slack
found one place said it was good and another said too much

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
6-7 degrees is not bad even new chains can have that much. If you had about 20 or more degrees of slack then I might say it could be part of the issue.
Compression number sound good but there still could be a stuck valve or lifter issue as once the engine is running and the lifters are pumped up the valve will move farther and could either be holding one slightly open or one of the valves is sticking slightly.

OP
OP
N

nkhd1

Much improvement.plenty throttle less put put. vac gage still fluctuating.
Friend came over and he advanced it by ear and ran much better. Put a light on it and the timing was at 20. He recalled back when I first got the Bronco that the timing was at 24.
Why would the timing be so high?
Ran it at 80 and still had more(have not change speedo gear with the rear end change 3.5 to 4.11)

Last edited:

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Well a couple of things can be going on. the PO could have installed the cam either advanced or retarded which can throw the ignition timing marks off so standard settings wont be true.. or the harmonic balancer outer ring has slipped and timing is not reading correctly.(although you already checked TDC so it may be that the timing set was installed advanced or retarded.
Along with those factors maybe the cam is fairly big that would cause vacuum gauge fluctuations as well.

OP
OP
N

nkhd1

Thanks for all the help guys. Ended up at about 18 degrees and checked and found we are getting about the right total time 36. I am gonna run it and see what happens.
'preciate all the help and patience.
ZF going in next week as my 3sp linkage gets tangled and the clutch is slipping. More $$$ but enjoying the challenges.