• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Stock 3 speed shift question??

Shulaps

Loc.
BC Interior, Canada
Well I picked up another Bronco, yes it is a disease.
Quick question on the stock 3 speed tranny. First and reverse work but the 2/3 selector will not move?
I have unhooked the shift rods and tried to move by hand but it won’t budge?
Any of you old 3 speed experts ever run into this?

amax

Sounds like the R and 1st shift rail isn't returning to the neutral position to allow the other rail to shift. May have to jiggle the shaft and see if you can get it to the center spot in the rotation to allow the other post to move.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
By all means disconnect both rods and see if the 1st/reverse lever is snicking down into it's neutral position before trying to move the 2nd/3rd lever.
It never hurts to change the gear lube, but that's not what's locking your shifting up. Either the pill is not in it's detent, the shift shaft is stuck (not likely, but possible) or something is messed up inside the trans in the way of a broken part jamming up the works.

Since you can shift it into first and reverse you can rock it back and forth to make sure that nothing in the driveline is bound up, but even if that was the case I don't think I've ever seen that kind of binding stop a transmission from being able to be shifted when the vehicle can be rocked.

Try making sure the other lever is in neutral first and let's see where that leads us next.

Paul

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Oh, and then get out the rubber mallet!;D
But that's really only for a stuck shaft or shift fork. Not really for beating and wailing on the parts. Don't want to break anything that ain't broke already after all.

Paul

OP
OP
Shulaps

Shulaps

Loc.
BC Interior, Canada
Last night I really fiddled with the 2 levers trying to get the 2/3 lever to move but it wouldn't budge. Tried rotating the drive shaft in neutral to see if that would find a sweet spot but nothing.

I will try giving it a light bump tonight to see if that helps things out.

B RON CO

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Statesville, NC
Hi, as mentioned, the 2-3 lever won't move if the other lever is not centered in neutral.
I would first loosen the nut on the 2-3 lever, just in case it is binding on the case, or on backwards and rubbing.
If the nut is loose and it still won't move I would say the tranny is coming out.
Members here have trannies for sale, including me.
Good luck

OP
OP
Shulaps

Shulaps

Loc.
BC Interior, Canada
I tried playing with it but did not try loosening the nuts ect. Will give that a try.
I have an extra tranny so not a big deal but would like to know whats going on with the one that is in it.