• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Stock Distributor recommendation for 351W and timing advice

murdock

Loc.
Anchorage, AK
Allright, I have some basic bonehead questions:

1) The distributor on my mystery 351W (built somewhat from what I can see, holley heads, street avenger carb, headers...) needs a vacuum advance. I priced out the vacuum advance canisters and I can get a new distributor with vacuum advance for just a few bucks more. So, what cheap/stock distributor should I get? I don't know what year this engine is or what vehicle it came out of. In looking through the Shucks book, every year and vehicle seems to have different advances with the carb. What should I get or what advance should the distributor have? Basically does anyone have either have a part number or a specific vehicle and year that I can tell the the parts guy I need a distributor from?

2) I finally got the bronco back on the street with this 351/AOD and it's great, but the engine seems to be pinging under load and diesels when I shut it off (when the engines warm). I've read that this means I need to retard the timing. Which way do I turn the distributor to retard the timing? I plan on using a light to set this, but I don't have one at the moment. I also have a some hesitation at first acceleration until the rpms get up just a bit.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Turn the Dist clockwise to retard it. I set my timing with out a light all the time just loosen the dist start the engine then rev to about 3000 RPM then turn the dist until you find the smoothest running setting. then tighten down and drive it see if you get any pinging. Vacuum advaces are usually pretty cheap $10 -15 rebuilt dist from autozone were like $50 kinda up to you which way to go You might ask for a 84/85 bronco or F150 dist. The vacuum advance cannisters are the same for all for dist's so if you have a old 302 dist laying around you can use that one.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
No clockwise advances it... I am fairly sure about that...
General rule for any engine. The vacuum advance, well advances the timing. Look at that can. If you pull on the hose (and rotate the distributor in that direction) you are advancing the timing. Just like the vacuum advance does. Push on it and you retard it.
Works on Fords, GM, Mopar, Jeeps, Internationals, mystery vehicles from 3rd world countrys, etc.

OP
OP
murdock

murdock

Loc.
Anchorage, AK
Good rule of thumb Broncobowsher. I'll try that trick out when I get the new distributor. Napa wanted $45 for a vacuum canister and I can get the complete distributor for $60 from them?! We don't have Autozone up here, but I'll go check Shucks.

4xfloored

Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Bernardino
[The vacuum advance cannisters are the same for all for dist's so if you have a old 302 dist laying around you can use that one.[/QUOTE]

Are you sure about that? the 302 vac can I have has a different length arm the the one on my 351w... but only by about 1/8-3 /16 or so...
Is the length of the arm irrelavent ?

4xfloored

Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Bernardino
murdock said:
Good rule of thumb Broncobowsher. I'll try that trick out when I get the new distributor. Napa wanted $45 for a vacuum canister and I can get the complete distributor for $60 from them?! We don't have Autozone up here, but I'll go check Shucks.

I was in the same boat 3 weeks ago, I got my dizzy from a local parts store $58 bucks, I couldnt see spendin $50 on just the vac can...:mad:

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Must have had a brain to hand miscommunication yes CCW retards it.
I'm pretty sure all ford vacuum canisters interchange at least between electonic dist's there should be no differance even between the points type as all the internal advance plates are interchangeable dont matter if its for a 6 cylinder or a 460 they use the same internal plates just look in your dist it even has a spot marked for the 6 cyl vacuum advance hookup. but it really shouldnt matter how long the arms are as long as it hooks up as the vaccum advance will still work as the advance plate it hooks to could move all the way around if the wires would let it.

OP
OP
murdock

murdock

Loc.
Anchorage, AK
Update

Thanks for the help guys! I ended up buying a distributor for an '84 F150, then realized I need the points type distributor since I have the pertronix ignitor, so I got one from a '69 mustang 351 and it is working!

After looking at the distributor I just replaced, I noticed that not only was the vacuum canister missing, but they had also welded the plate in the carb that moves for mechanical advance to the body of the dist, so that now the mechanical advance didn't work either.

Is that common? I guess by doing that the engine would only have one timing, so at low rpms you'd have a lot more advance than you want?