• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Stock Eli gas tank?

griff

Loc.
solvang, ca
Long time no post... I joined here in '02 and built my bronco with the help of this forum. It saw a lot of miles of rough trails and I'm thinking it might be time for build #2.

Does anyone know if any of the vendors sell a "stock" gas tank but with a efi pump and fittings? All the EFI tanks seem to be 20+ gallons.

I want a new tank. And I want to switch to fuel injection. But my rear bumper/tire carrier/skid plate were all custom made at my friends shop and he doesn't live here anymore. They all work together for strength and the skid plate fits nice and tight to the stock tank so I don't want a bigger tank.

OP
OP
griff

griff

Loc.
solvang, ca
Nobody? I guess I’ll have to buy a new stock tank and go with a frame mounted pump and a fuel accumulator. Doesn’t seem like the best option for me but maybe the only realistic one.

pcf_mark

Bronco Guru
Stock tank to a Bosch replacement pump mounted on the frame on my rig. It is a universal replacement for '86-88 F250. Five+ years never a problem even running it down to a few gallons (one??) on the street. I never do trails but I would suspect on some decent inclines with low fuel it might draw some air and that would be rough.

Let me list the reasons why I would use an accumulator:
1)None
2) If I wanted my truck to have random fuel problems forever

On muscle cars I have taken them off two cars so far and made an owner happy.

OP
OP
griff

griff

Loc.
solvang, ca
Stock tank to a Bosch replacement pump mounted on the frame on my rig. It is a universal replacement for '86-88 F250. Five+ years never a problem even running it down to a few gallons (one??) on the street. I never do trails but I would suspect on some decent inclines with low fuel it might draw some air and that would be rough.

Let me list the reasons why I would use an accumulator:
1)None
2) If I wanted my truck to have random fuel problems forever

On muscle cars I have taken them off two cars so far and made an owner happy.

Thanks for the reply. The purpose of my Bronco is rock crawling and occasional desert use. I thought the accumulator was needed off road but I haven’t learned that much yet. I always stuck to a carb for simplicity but the efi kits seem to be getting simpler. I’m thinking about the Holley kit because they have given me good customer support in the past on my truck avenger. I like the idea of a f250 pump though because it would be easy to get anywhere.