• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Stock exhaust header bung, how to plug?

fordguy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
see pics, the thread is m22 x 2.5, local parts store did not have a bolt that big. posted a pic with the riser pipe in it also.

Attachments

• exhaustheader.JPG
    exhaustheader.JPG
    136.3 KB · Views: 92
  • exhaustpipe.JPG
    exhaustpipe.JPG
    145.8 KB · Views: 82

garberz

Bronco Influencer
Loc.
Conejo Valley, Ca.
I left the fitting in the manifold. I cut a carriage bolt and dropped it into the fitting. Then I used the tube nut to hold it in place. First time I used a couple pennies to plug the tube nut, that didn’t last a week.

Mark

OP
OP
F

fordguy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
NPT will screw in but it is loose. we checked it with a tap, it is metric. How easy does that cast weld?

66broncoCT

Contributor
Loc.
Torrington, CT
If all else fails McMaster-Carr sells m22x2.5 bolts or cap head screws. About $3 a piece. I'd try that before welding it.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Spark plug is M18 X 1.5 (the big one) and the small plug is M14 and some of the new plugs are M12 threads.

That is not the normal M18 O2 bung that is easy to plug with a spark plug.

The 2.5 pitch makes it a hard one to deal with. If it were the more common 1.5 pitch it would be a lot easier. But I would get that speciality bolt and plug it before I welded it up. If you still have the EGR riser that screws into that, pinch it shut and weld the pinch then screw it in to plug the hole.

OP
OP
F

fordguy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Spark plug is M18 X 1.5 (the big one) and the small plug is M14 and some of the new plugs are M12 threads.

That is not the normal M18 O2 bung that is easy to plug with a spark plug.

The 2.5 pitch makes it a hard one to deal with. If it were the more common 1.5 pitch it would be a lot easier. But I would get that speciality bolt and plug it before I welded it up. If you still have the EGR riser that screws into that, pinch it shut and weld the pinch then screw it in to plug the hole.

I do have the riser and that was what I was thinking. my son in law is a pipefitter/welder, sure he can handle that. I will probably also order a bolt because it looks better and see if it works first. thanks.