• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Stock Rear axle shock mounts are they strong enough?

Geiri

Loc.
Iceland
I have this WildHorses$x4 shock mounts, and am just preparing to weld them on and thought I would ask.... Are this Rear Axle shock mount strong enough for Off road or Should I get stronger?

155_61_popup.webp

Contributor
How hard are you going to be pushing the vehicle off-road? Dedicated rock crawler or just occasionally cruising some fire roads?

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru
You building a Formula Offroad rig? My factory mounts held up fine for decades, but I decided to go full-width F150 stuff, I used the Ruff Stuff mounts. No use yet on them, so I can't compare, but can't imagine I'd have any issues either way.

OP
OP
Geiri

Geiri

Loc.
Iceland
How hard are you going to be pushing the vehicle off-road? Dedicated rock crawler or just occasionally cruising some fire roads?

Mr. @1969 I decided to go your way and make a Shock hope for the rear.
I only know that I don't want it to fail. :) I will push it a little I just that kind a guy 😅

Demparafestingar-a-aftan-dempari.jpg

Broncobowsher

Total hack
There is also the strength limit to the axle tube itself. Unless you have upgraded to one of the aftermarket heavy wall housings I don't see a need for reinforced/heavy duty shock mounts. For relocating, I see making/getting new ones. But for generally stock, I would rather see a stock mount damaged before it takes out the axle housing.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Looking at your mock up, where are you planning to weld the shock mounts onto the tubes?

Steve83

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Memphis, TN, USA, Earth, Milky Way
If welded on properly, they're plenty strong regardless of how you wheel. They don't bear the weight of the truck - the only force applied to them is from the shock's oil flowing through the valves. If you JUMP, then there would be a lot more force when the shock reaches the end of its travel and becomes the limit (if you don't have straps), but nothing stock is gonna stand up to jumping for long.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Is it just the picture then, or is the shock shaft in line with the U-bolt?
If it is, you’re gonna rip those shock shafts in half in short order. Or bust them out or trash the bushings pretty quick.
Unless you have a serious form of traction control, those leaf springs will twist every time you get on the gas and off the gas. Having the shock shift too close to anything, in the wrong plane, is going to lead to huge side stresses.
Even if the shaft in the picture is not perfectly lined up with the U-bolt, it looks close enough to the point that, during articulation, it will line up with something.
Ending up between the proverbial hard place and a hard place! :)

Got a pic from a different angle?

OP
OP
Geiri

Geiri

Loc.
Iceland
Is it just the picture then, or is the shock shaft in line with the U-bolt?
If it is, you’re gonna rip those shock shafts in half in short order. Or bust them out or trash the bushings pretty quick.
Unless you have a serious form of traction control, those leaf springs will twist every time you get on the gas and off the gas. Having the shock shift too close to anything, in the wrong plane, is going to lead to huge side stresses.
Even if the shaft in the picture is not perfectly lined up with the U-bolt, it looks close enough to the point that, during articulation, it will line up with something.
Ending up between the proverbial hard place and a hard place! :)

Got a pic from a different angle?
Good point. The lower end is just clamped to the Housing. It's not the final outcome.
I am about to Order some Bilstein 7100 from WH and will not weld anything until they arrive. Hopefully sometimes next weak.
I am looking at Mr. @1969 's photo and see he has his center above the housing. Does it mater if I go lower? slightly beneath... No rock crawling here only snow.

Contributor
I’d add in some more angle and move the top of the shock forward more on your mount, and push the bottom towards the back.

Here is mine for example

IMG_3315.jpeg

Speedrdr

Contributor
Learning Member
Loc.
Paris, MS
Slight hijack here, sorry.

@1969, two questions: 1) How much lift is shown in the pic and 2) what shock are you using.
TIA

Randy