• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Stock rebuilt tranny- 2nd and 3rd gear not responding

stxbronco72

Loc.
Corpus Christi
I have a stock three on the tree tranny and a rebuilt transmission for my 200 I6. If I go to second or third gear, I can let the clutch all the way loose and not stall out. This of course also means that giving it gas does nothing. I disconnected the shifting arms from the tranny and put it manually second gear (I think) and still got nothing. Any ideas.

JB

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
That's a stumper. Sorry I'm no help, but am interested in what others have to say.

Good luck. Hope it's something simple and cheap and quick though!

Paul

Toddpole

Contributor
Sounds like the 2-3 shift fork may not be engaged on the gear set.

WheelHorse

Bronco Guru
Been ages since I've had 3 speed iron apart...can you feel the syncro sleeve engage past the blocker and into the gears dog teeth when you do this by hand?

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Make sure the linkage didn't fall off.

Can you feel it shifting as you go into 2nd or 3rd?

OP
OP
stxbronco72

stxbronco72

Loc.
Corpus Christi
I can take the linkage off and turn the transmission into gear with a crescent wrench by turning the bolt that the linkage connects to. When I do this, I feel a pretty solid "click" into place, but the tranny still acts as if it is in neutral.

66BlueGoose

Contributor
Two options to the issue:
- The click is the selector shaft moving past the detents but the shift fork is loose on the selector shaft so it's not going into gear.
- The click is the selector fork and hub moving into gear but you have sheared off something on the 3rd/2nd drive hub.

Either is bad news, as both require the transmission to come out to diagnose and repair.

(unless you have some of way of getting to your inspection cover without pulling the transmission - aka you have a large body lift and / or a modified drive tunnel)

PS - Just want to verify you are moving the shift fork closest to the engine, that the 2nd/3rd one. You should also be able to shift it by hand if the shift lever is on the side, just disconnect the down road by popping off the clip.