• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Stock tire carrier non-tailgate latch options

skrit

Contributor
A Horse with No Name
Loc.
Durham
I need to use my stock tire carrier but do not want to drill holes in my new tailgate to install the stock latch mechanism. Anyone have a good mod for the latch location? Maybe a spring/bolt through the bumper? A new bumper/carrier is not an option unless someone will buy me one ;D .

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Since your spare tire carrier is body mounted, it better be body latched as well. Rigging some mount down to the bumper could lead to large stresses on the bed corner as the body mounts flex.

Could move the spare to inside the bed until you either break down and drill holes or save enough for a bumper mounted spare tire carrier.

OP
OP
skrit

skrit

Contributor
A Horse with No Name
Loc.
Durham
Since your spare tire carrier is body mounted, it better be body latched as well. Rigging some mount down to the bumper could lead to large stresses on the bed corner as the body mounts flex.

good point. never thought about that.