• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Stolen Early Bronco Avoidance. Bullet-proof answers please?

gtownky

Loc.
Cynthiana,KY
There is a pretty cool gadget out that you can purchase. It requires a monthly service. You hide this gps tracking device on your vehicle and you can log onto the web and see where your vehicle is and where it has been. Also it will tell you the speeds your vehicle has been at. Great for looking for your stolen Bronco and a very good device to keep an I on the teenage kid with. Its also good for when you go on trips your family can see where you are at.

68ford

Bronco Guru
2 different gear ratios in the front and rear diffs and park in 4 wheel drive.
based on experience, i would highly not recommend re-gearing one diff different on purpose for anti theft :)

LSUpete

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Lo-jack is completely different than a GPS based system. Here is one (GPS based) I've seen recently. All you need to do is call it up and it tells you exactly where it is.

http://www.gilsson.com/alwaysFind_mini.htm

I use a similar unit that alerts me if the Bronco moves 500 feet from it's location. At that point I can track it through GPS. I keep this unit mounted to the rear face of the inside of my Tuffey box. My first call will be to the police, but I WILL notify them that I am also en route and I WILL be armed.

I also use a fuel pump disconnect switch that is located inside the Tuffey box.

So, if you try to hot wire my truck......you won't get far. And, if you try to trailer my truck.....you'll wish you didn't get too far.

Either way is satisfactory to me.

:cool:

OP
OP
Seymourpus

Seymourpus

BANNED
Loc.
So Cal
Thanks for the info...

I did look at other posts and links first.

I like the GPS tracker with an electronic 500' fence.

When I see a 45 year old rusted axle from EB's sell for over $1,000....robbing a bank at gunpoint will get you less money.

Today, things have changed.

Tear a good shape old bronco apart and you could make $5k+ easy and no one would ever know or meet you.

Tear a Jeep apart and you would make $50 from the scrap yard.

MattW

I use a similar unit that alerts me if the Bronco moves 500 feet from it's location. At that point I can track it through GPS. I keep this unit mounted to the rear face of the inside of my Tuffey box. My first call will be to the police, but I WILL notify them that I am also en route and I WILL be armed.

I also use a fuel pump disconnect switch that is located inside the Tuffey box.

So, if you try to hot wire my truck......you won't get far. And, if you try to trailer my truck.....you'll wish you didn't get too far.

Either way is satisfactory to me.

:cool:

Good luck with that. Chances are they'll pull you over way before they even think to look for the Bronco.

Evian

Loc.
Algonquin/IL
I would install Lo Jack for when everything else fails. Even the tow truck won't go far if the police is trailing behind. Lo Jack would be the final ad on to any anti-thief package. The GPS system sounds nice if you live where they allow you to arm yourself. In Chicago, and New York City arming yourself will put you in jail longer than the car thieve. Justice is blind, drunk and working for the wrong side.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
The GPS system sounds nice if you live where they allow you to arm yourself.

What does one have to do with the other?

Lo-jack is very limited in tracking range and requires special equipment to find the transmitter. Not all police departments have this equipment. The GPS based solution works everywhere it has cellular service and a veiw of at least 4 sats. You can literally call it from the other side of the world and it will tell you exactly where it is or where it was the last time it had a valid GPS position solution. There really is no comparison between the two systems.

67broncorebuild

Loc.
stanwood Wa
I am tiered of the cops reply of,"well, is the price of $1200 kicker motor worth the price of life" I think, a $10,000-12,000 Bronco would deserve this fate in my book. In Washington we can still hang for horse thieves,,,BRONCO??

Evian

Loc.
Algonquin/IL
A quote from Viperwolf1:
Originally Posted by Evian View Post

Think about it and connect the dots. IF you have GPS tracking for your car and you can track it yourself you will do what in that highly emotional charged moment? a. nothing, b. call the police (I did this once, I found our stolen car and I called them to help us retrieve it. They never came. They are good for one thing only taking your report), or c. jump in your car and personally pick it up before they destroy it. If you do this you will obviously be packing unless you actually believe they will just hand it over because they suddenly grew a conscious. In State where you are allowed to carry a firearm with a carry permit you are ok. In a state like Illinois you can do this but expect to spend some quality time in jail reflecting on what you just did. I guarantee you will be in jail longer than the car thief.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
A quote from Viperwolf1:
Originally Posted by Evian View Post

Think about it and connect the dots. IF you have GPS tracking for your car and you can track it yourself you will do what in that highly emotional charged moment? a. nothing, b. call the police (I did this once, I found our stolen car and I called them to help us retrieve it. They never came. They are good for one thing only taking your report), or c. jump in your car and personally pick it up before they destroy it. If you do this you will obviously be packing unless you actually believe they will just hand it over because they suddenly grew a conscious. In State where you are allowed to carry a firearm with a carry permit you are ok. In a state like Illinois you can do this but expect to spend some quality time in jail reflecting on what you just did. I guarantee you will be in jail longer than the car thief.

Your dots and my dots are apparently not in sync. I have faith that the police are willing to solve crimes. I also understand that it takes time and coordination for them to get a warrant to enter someone's property to search for a stolen vehicle. Yes I would want my vehicle back quickly but I would also want those responsible to pay the piper. Time would be on my side with the GPS.

Sweathog

Loc.
Lansing
Your dots and my dots are apparently not in sync. I have faith that the police are willing to solve crimes. I also understand that it takes time and coordination for them to get a warrant to enter someone's property to search for a stolen vehicle. Yes I would want my vehicle back quickly but I would also want those responsible to pay the piper. Time would be on my side with the GPS.

Viperwolf, The police in/near Chicago do not look for stolen vehicles. And here, a stolen vehile is usually stripped, burned or if your lucky abandoned within 24 hours. If they are recovered they are pretty much scrap. I think it is a question of where you live.

Guns are not viable here. Last summer a man shot his own dog when it attacked his little girl. He was held in custody for discharging a firearm, unlawful in Cook county. He was released without being charged after the media gave the story a lot of attention.