• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Stonecrusher steering

KRAWLER

Loc.
Southwest VA
I am having a bit of a problem with my Stone Crusher Steering. I am using the setup with both joint's over the knuckle. I keep getting slop in the bolt/configuration. GO A WALKIN DOWN THE ROAD YOU MIGHT SAY. Tighten it up, redrill cauter pin, loose again and wobble within a month. I googled stone crusher to call them and ask for a resolution to the issue, and it looks as if Duff has bought them out. Anthony was always a cool guy to deal with. He corrected the wobble in my F350. Any info on this issue would be appreciated.

Thanks,

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Interesting. So is the bolt actually loosening up on you each time? Not unheard of I'm sure, but strange none the less.
When you say wobble too, do you mean the normal wobble while driving with a loose bit of linkage, or are you talking about the bolt hole wobbling out when it's loose?

Sorry, just wasn't sure.

Good luck no matter what though.

Paul

01Dudley

Loc.
Knoxville
Yeah x2 w/DirtDonk. If the bolt/nut just keeps loosening up I would suggest getting new lock nuts. Is there slop in the 3/4 hole in the knuckle? Does your draglink go all the way over to the passenger knuckle or does the drag link attach to the tierod bar w/ a saddle(like our current design)?

rcmbronc

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Tomah WI
Are you drilling through the nut and bolt and then cotter pins? If it is and still loosening then I suggest a new bolt as it may be shot and stretching.

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Might also make sure you did not ream out to deep, allowing nut to tighten on the bottom of the threads and not really letting the nut pull the fitting into the hole.

OP
OP
KRAWLER

KRAWLER

Loc.
Southwest VA
The bolt is eating the knuckle. I can tighten everything up, redrill the bolt and replace cauter pin. One week later again it's loose. There was no reaming on the instructions. Just blast a 3/4" hole through the knuckles. I will post the installation instruction and a video of the slop tomorrow.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Well, it sounds like no matter what you try to do as a temporary fix, you're out of luck.
This is your steering after all, and it is put through a lot of stresses. You just can't tighten a bolt up in a mis-sized hole and hope it holds still. Might work for a while, but a full ain't gonna happen until you do something physical about it.
Such as fill-and-drill, or drill larger for a larger bolt, or some other special fab trick that I have no clue about.
The bolt just has to fit the hole with really no extra room to move. A 3/4" hole for a 3/4" bolt and no looseness.

From your description it sounds like it's going to have to be well and truly "fixed" before it's going to work as a reliable steering system again.
The hole that is. Not the bolt.

Very interested in seeing the video.

Paul

Bronco Brian

Bronco Guru
I would say the heim is Seized up and won't spin, So it spins the bolt. Thoughts

broncoluv

Loc.
very west, oregon
I have had this setup since he first started selling them with no problems. My kit included tapered bolts that required a tapered reamer to taper the holes. No loosening after years of use. Are your bolts tapered?

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
That's good to know broncoluv. I remember when he started selling them, but didn't know he used a tapered bit there. Thought they were always just a straight bolt, like most others use.

Did the kits come either way? Or were they all tapered at that point?

Paul

broncoluv

Loc.
very west, oregon
Not sure, that is how mine came. Tapered bolts seem much better than regular bolts to me though. There must be a reason that the OEM ball joints use tapered studs.

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Bolts are generally designed for pure tension, so putting them in tension as defined by the torque on the fastener and then in bending from the steering linkages tends to be hard on both the bolt and the hole. When you have a tapered fit, the axial preload torque is distributed over the entire tapered contact surface, so you have a larger contact area and thus lower, more uniform contact stress.

When you don't have a tapered fit, then just the head of the bolt and flat surface of a SRE are in contact with the mating surface, as well as possibly a couple of points or lines in contact on the side of the bolt shank and the hole, leading to much higher contact stresses and a higher potential for localized material yielding/failure. In the straight bolt scenario, I would imagine you're exceeding the yield strength of the steering knuckle with the combined loading, which then allows the bolt to loosen...and by tightening the bolt further, you're probably just accelerating the process. You could "upgrade" to a higher strength Grade 9 bolt, but that would just require an even higher torque and create the same issue to a higher degree.

The tapered studs really are the best solution to running SRE's in steering applications IMHO. I've haven't decided on those over TRE's yet, but if I go SRE's, there won't be any straight drilled holes through knuckles, pitman arms, etc.

Tobin

01Dudley

Loc.
Knoxville
Let me make sure I understand this. As you tighten the bolt / nut the nut is jammed against the knuckle so tight that the nut is actually embedded into the knuckle? Thought as you steer lf to rt the bolt is bound tight, but the nut is getting loosened alittle at a time by the twisting knuckle. Sound possible? Get a thick washer to put between the knuckle and the nut. The cast steel of the knuckle is softer than a washer. Tighten the crap out of it. The hemisphere of the heim should be very tight and you obviously don't want it to move. The other area of the heim should pivot freely around the center.

rjrobin2002

Bronco Guru
I would just switch from tie rod over to having the tie rod under and drag link over. It is a much stronger set up and should 99% fix your worn hole issue.

BUCKNBRONK

Loc.
fresno
Let me make sure I understand this. As you tighten the bolt / nut the nut is jammed against the knuckle so tight that the nut is actually embedded into the knuckle? Thought as you steer lf to rt the bolt is bound tight, but the nut is getting loosened alittle at a time by the twisting knuckle. Sound possible? Get a thick washer to put between the knuckle and the nut. The cast steel of the knuckle is softer than a washer. Tighten the crap out of it. The hemisphere of the heim should be very tight and you obviously don't want it to move. The other area of the heim should pivot freely around the center.

ditto on this-- u should have grade 8 washers so u dont dig into the cast knuckle with the bolt/nut. I also recommend one between the hiem and the knuckle, the sphere is very hard and will dig in too.

broncoluv

Loc.
very west, oregon
That is very scary, and something is very, very wrong. Are your studs tapered, or just bolts? My drag link terminates in a saddle, not on top of the arm, this setup must exert a lot more force on the bolt or stud. Tie rod under would seem a better fit for this setup, but there is obviously another problem to deal with seeing the amount of play you have.

garberz

Bronco Influencer
Loc.
Conejo Valley, Ca.
Looks like the knuckle is wallowed out now. You should've run the bolt the other direction, so the shank of the bolt runs through the knuckle, not the threads.

If you want to go to GM 1 ton TRE's, you can put one of these in to save your knuckle. Drill the hole out to 7/8" and this converts it to a taper. They work perfect for this situation. I fixed my buddies when it had been reamed too far for a TRO conversion.

http://www.ruffstuffspecialties.com/catalog/INSSTEER.html

Mark

Attachments

• Tapered insert.jpg
    Tapered insert.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 13

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Here's one of the parts I suggested years ago that Chuck has.

Rod End Stud.jpg
Part #47-00350

If your knuckle/steering arm is not already too far gone, a tapered reamer and a couple of these might just do the trick.
If it is too far gone, it'd still fix you up. You'd just need to do some pre-fix work on the hole to bring it back to snuff.

(edit: I realized afterwards that this is not a solution for you because the stud design is not correct for either mounting the draglink, or for keeping it in the orientation you have now. It's meant for the saddle type setup)

Paul

Last edited:

rjrobin2002

Bronco Guru
Why not try tie rod under and re test it. Then you will have the bolt shoulder through the knuckle and less strain on the bolt.