• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Storing combustibles

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
How do you store your combustibles like gas cans, spray paints and other chemicals? I have mine in a metal cabinet in the garage but I'm sure theres better options. If and when I move where theres more space I'm thinking outbuilding or shed away from the important stuff.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Not right, but since you ask...
Gas cans by the garage door. Front of the boat, by the pressure washer.
The spray cans are in a partical board storage cabinet by the work bench, spaced away from the gas water heater by the water softener. On paper, a complete death trap. Welder is mid-garage (tandem deep).
I also have a booster pump to pump pure oxygen to about 3300 PSI. Do that on the workbench between the chemical collection and the welder/compressor.

If it goes up, it's gone. putting stuff in a tin cabinet isn't going to do much for me. I have doubts about a proper flammable cabinet actually doing much good.

englewoodcowboy

Lick Creek Restorations
I have a metal cabinet in the shop for all that stuff. If it went up I doubt t would contain it with all of the chemicals in it but it meets the OSHA mans requirements and keeps somewhat order to the mess...

knack

Contributor
I repurposed an old workbench with a back, sides, and doors on the front. It sits outside the shop. A piece of steel roofing fastened to the top keeps it all dry. In it I keep fuel, various chemicals, used and new oil.
In the shop I have a steel cabinet I store paints, spray cans, glues, caulks, other stuff I don't want to freeze. If I was in a warmer climate I'd keep that cabinet outside too.