• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Straight 6 300CID

Tcoffey988

Loc.
Reno
The other day I was talking to a friend. He's an excavater and swares by the cummings diesel engine. Except for Fords straight 6 300CID. Has any one thought about putting this motor in a EB? What would be the +/-?

feitctaj

FNG
Loc.
Group W Bench
Be patient , there is a Eb owner that is doing this swap, and he showed us all the interesting pics a couple months ago. You might do a search .

swa0330

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Portland,OR
I am about 3-5 months from installing the 4 cylinder cummins in my 72. It's an easy swap after you get the motor and tranny positioned. the NV4500 from the Diesel is a direct bolt in, and the dodge transfer case or NP 205 will hook into that. There is only 1 wire to run the whole engine. 300 ft lbs of torque at 1500 rpm. 30mpg with an overdrive.

GaBronco

Loc.
South Ogden
There is a guy in the MEB that runs an outschool carbureated version of the 300 six. I saw it at the fawl crawl and he seemed to have no problem turning them.

Nathan8)

adidas

Bronco Guru
Loc.
arizona
when i was a kid we had a '94 with that engine, a four speed on the floor, and really high gears. my dad told me it was the most underpowered pos. but i suppose it wouldnt be all bad if you matched it up with the right gears and tranny.

jpoore

Loc.
San Jose, CA
swa0330 said:
I am about 3-5 months from installing the 4 cylinder cummins in my 72. It's an easy swap after you get the motor and tranny positioned. the NV4500 from the Diesel is a direct bolt in, and the dodge transfer case or NP 205 will hook into that. There is only 1 wire to run the whole engine. 300 ft lbs of torque at 1500 rpm. 30mpg with an overdrive.

What was the original application for that engine? Is it a turbo?

JP

swa0330

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Portland,OR
found in Frito Lay bread trucks. It is turbocharged. Ranging from 105-130 hp stock form. Can easily bump that number though. It won't be a rocket ship, but if I can bump it to 150+ horses, then it should get around pretty respectably. I have a ton of info on the engine if you want to know. If you don't want an overdrive and are just trying to build a crawler, the SM-465 falls in right behind it. That's what most bread trucks had. If it can push around a heavy bread truck, then a 4300 lb bronco should be pretty easy. The engine is about $2000-2500 used with a tranny.