• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

strange noise during shift

gmurrell

i hear what sounds like a chain dragging on asphalt every time i shift (no i checked...no actual chain is dragging!). not sure if this is happening all the time and the engine noise is covering or not, but i was hoping someone else had experienced this. i tried killing the engine while holding the clutch pedal down and the noise is still there. any thoughts?

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru
It sounds like your throwout bearing on the clutch may be bad...or it could be the pilot bearing for the trans input shaft...or both. Since it's only happening when you shift, anything related to the clutch area is where I'd start. When was the last time you did a clutch job?

67RT

Bronco Guru
I have that noise only at higher speeds in third with clutch in or out. It sounded like a throw out bearing, but the timing and independence of clutch make me think some tranny bearings are going.. I will drive until it tanks!

driveshafter

Loc.
phoenix az
sounds like a throwout bering to usaly when the driveshaft starts going you get vibrations at about 55 to 65 then it gets worse and then crapola

OP
OP
gmurrell

gmurrell

It sounds like your throwout bearing on the clutch may be bad...or it could be the pilot bearing for the trans input shaft...or both. Since it's only happening when you shift, anything related to the clutch area is where I'd start. When was the last time you did a clutch job?

i've never replaced the clutch. it's only recently become a daily driver and half the time i shift without the clutch ;D. before that it was a summer vehicle only. it might be time for a new clutch or at least a peak at the throwout bearing.

oh, forgot to mention. this noise has been around the whole time i've owned it (10yrs or so)